Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Question about urls

jakehole is offline Junior Member

Default Question about urls

I am having a big issue with the urls. I'm not the programmer but I own the site and do the SEO work for it too. So here is the HUGE problem. I hope I describe this so you can understand what I mean. Here goes.

When you click on a category from the homepage it takes you to a page with several products on it. Under the products is a description of what the above product is and is also the link that takes you to that product and is also the url.

My problem is, a lot of these pages are ranking very well but my conversions are horrible due to poor descriptions below the product. The only way I have found to change this is by changing the page name which creates a new url and I lose my ranking in the search engines.
    What I am hoping to see is that I can pull from the summary to be the description under the products or really anything that will stop the urls from changing!!!!

If you know of anything I can do or pass on to my programmer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks Jake

DanV is offline Ursus arctos horribilis

I assume you mean that you are changing the product name for better rankings, which is impacting the URL? If you change a product name, you should set up a 301 redirect to the new page so google knows that the page has been moved, but will preserve rankings. This can be done easily through IIS. There are tons of tutorials out there on how to do this, such as the one here: http://www.mcanerin.com/EN/articles/...direct-IIS.asp

mgibbs is offline Senior Member

If I understand what you are saying, you don't WANT to change the product names but would prefer to have a better description show up on the category page that lists the product, right?

Your suggestion is a good one. Depending upon which XMLPackage you have defined for your categories, your programmer should be able to modify the XMLPackage to include the product Summary in addition to the image and the product name/link.

This would allow you, over time, to modify the product summaries to get the best possible conversion rate.

If you can provide more specifics (which version of ASPDNSF, which XMLPackages are being used for your categories, etc), perhaps I can provide more specifics about what I'm proposing.

MJG
    EMM for AspDotNetStorefront - Communicate effectively with your customers