Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Gift Wrap Option for Christmas

Kally is offline Junior Member

Default Gift Wrap Option for Christmas

I have spent hours trying to get this to work.

When I tried to add the gift wrap option through the order options in the admin site (as I saw suggested on a previous post), I could not make the option available for individual items.

I tried using the related items option in the product manager, but the related items do not stay specific to the product being wrapped.

Then I tried using the kit set up, but the kit package seems to have several problems. In particular, the problem begins when the customer changes their mind and tries to edit their cart. The cart does not return them properly to the product page. (I am hoping support can help me with this and I have submitted a support ticket.)

A long story short, is there a way that I can remove the "edit" option in the shopping cart and force the customer to delete the item and reorder rather than edit their item? (I think that is the simplest way to solve the problem.)

Am I making this too difficult?

Christmas is coming! It would be great to be able to offer the gift wrap option much like Amazon does.

Rob is offline Senior Member

RE: " I could not make the option available for individual items."

order options apply to the order. not indifividual items. If you need individual item "options", you may have to use kits.

99+% of orders are for single items and "gift wrap" as an order option works just fine in nearly all cases.

If you need something different, you will have to mod the source to achieve your specific business rules.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

Kally is offline Junior Member

Default Giving up for now.

Thank you for responding.

I agree that kits seem to be the best way to go. We have decided to give up on gift wrap for Christmas as the kit feature does not appear to be working on our site. I have to wait until the beginning of the year to do an upgrade so that I can get technical support. That is why I was going to try the temporary patch by removing the edit function. But I don't know how to do that, and I don't want to mess up anything that is working.

Happy Holidays!

Why are kits not working? and doesn't the 99% case apply to your products also (e.g. just turn on gift wrapping as an order option)?

RE: "A long story short, is there a way that I can remove the "edit" option in the shopping cart and force the customer to delete the item and reorder rather than edit their item? (I think that is the simplest way to solve the problem.)"

in latest builds (not out yet) we have made all edit buttons appconfig enabled (or not). in your build, you'd have to change shoppingcart.cs class to not write them out.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

Alkaline is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront View Post
    RE: " I could not make the option available for individual items."

order options apply to the order. not indifividual items. If you need individual item "options", you may have to use kits.

99+% of orders are for single items and "gift wrap" as an order option works just fine in nearly all cases.

If you need something different, you will have to mod the source to achieve your specific business rules.

Rob,

I'm not sure where you getting that statistic, but I have skinned a good bit of sites and most people want to have individual gift wrapping...

uptime244 is offline Member

I agree, individual gift wrapping would be a welcomed addition.
    --------------------------------
    MS9200
    AtterdagKids.com

ASPDNSF Staff - Jon is offline Senior Member

Unless you use both Size/Color modifiers, Gift Wrapping can be added as a Variant modifier. Simply set one of the modifiers to None,GiftWrapping [+2.00], with an SKUModifier of <nothing>,-gftwrp.

Any individual product can be gift wrapped, and identified as such by the SKU Modifier.
    Jon Wolthuis

Because it's been like the way we have it now for 4 years, and no-one'as asked for "per item gift wrapping" until now.
    AspDotNetStorefront
    Shopping Cart

Ydeveloper is offline Junior Member

Why do not you hire some expert to work for you and make an excellent wrapping system as you want. I had issue in shopping cart last Christmas and immediately contacted ecommerce developer to resolve.