Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Setting up ASPDNSF with Visual Studio

JasonTD is offline Member

Default Setting up ASPDNSF with Visual Studio

Hi again,

I posted an earlier thread about being a newbie to ASPDNSF as well as a relative newcomer to C# and Visual Studio. Someone in the thread advised me about configuring the SLN correctly, but even before that, I just wanted to get a little guidance...

Edit: I got help on the original questions I was asking here, so I'm just editing this in the hope that I can get some assistance with my new question. Namely: What is involved in the compiling / uploading process? Let's say I want to make changes to the RTShipping.cs file in the ASPDNSFCommon folder. After making the changes in the code and saving the file, what will my next step be? As I said, I'm new to Visual Studio and compiling, so I don't know the whole procedure... What ends up being compiled, and what do I upload to the server for the changes to go into effect?

I'm new to all this but am determined to learn how to do this stuff myself so that I'll be educated enough to run my site once I have it all together. I do have a lot of scripting experience, so I'm not totally new to coding / web stuff. Just the ins and outs of compiling, ASP.NET, and all that good stuff.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by JasonTD; 06-16-2007 at 12:27 AM. Reason: changed content

Just adding a note that I've edited my original post to ask a different question since the problem I was having has been resolved. I figured this would be better than starting a new thread every time I want to pose a development question, since I'm still learning all this stuff and already have a ton of questions.

Damien is offline Member

Hi,

Your next step, after changing the file, is to go to Debug --> Compile in the Visual Studio Menu.

Assuming you have two installations, one on a development box and one on a live server, you will only have to upload a few things. For instance, if you decide to change the RTShipping class within ASPDNSFCommon on your local installation, when you compile the store again, a new DLL will be created in the web/bin folder. The only DLL that has changed is the AspDotNetStorefrontCommon.dll. Likewise, if you change something within the AspDotNetStorefrontGateways folder, once compiled, an updated Gateways dll will be created. Those newly updated dlls are the only files that you will need to upload to your web/bin directory on your production site.

If you have any more questions feel free to post them.

Hope this helps,
    Damien

Hi Damien,

That's exactly the help I needed. I really appreciate it!

Jason_OC is offline Junior Member

Default Unable to compile storefront in Visual Studio

Hi,

I don't see the "Compile" option under the Debug menu, but there is a "Build AspDotNetStorefrontCommon" option under the Build menu. When I click that, the project fails to build. Here's the output:

Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?) C:\Web\mywebsite_Dev\public\products\ASPDNSFCommon \Web References\com_buysafe_sbws\Reference.cs 30 52 AspDotNetStorefrontCommon

I am using Visual Studio 2005, trying to build ASPDNSF 7.0.

Should I be compiling with an even older version of VS.NET ?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

George the Great is offline Senior Member

You just need to install Microsoft Web Service Enhancements 3.0 (WSE 3.0) on the machine where you are compiling the storefront.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

Amazing is offline Senior Member

Default Similiar Question with regards to intial configuration

Using VS 2008 with 7.1.1

Can someone lay down the steps needed for the DB prep?
    Without first installing the program using an installer, I have done a build, but it won't run without the db schema etc.

Should I just run the installer to setup the DB on the same system, then it will be good to use with VS?

Just wasn't sure if there was another script which could be run to do the same thing without installing... but then again I'm not sure what to expect either... maybe there is some sample data in there or not?

Any pointers would be great.

Thanks,
    Tim

George the Great is offline Senior Member

We provide the files for the application, and then we provide a database installation script which creates the necessary tables, functions, stored procedures, and data for AspDotNetStorefront to run the first time. Just open the db/aspdotnetstorefrontdb_mssql.sql script in SQL Management Studio, and run it against the database you have created to be used for your installation. After it's finished executing, make sure the web.config file has the database connection information filled in, and that's pointing to the server/database that you just ran the script against.
    <a href="http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com">Shopping Cart Software</a>

Amazing is offline Senior Member

Default Starting / Debugging

This is the "DBConn" and "DBSQLServerLocaleSetting" ?
    Can you give an example with a local default install?

I'm trying to debug the code.
    What is the startup project, or is it supposed to be set to Multiple?

Getting the Error: A project with an Output Type of Class Library cannot to started directly (when trying to use F5)

Thanks.

Rex is offline Banned

right-click on the Web site project and select Set As Startup Project

Adam M is offline Junior Member

Smile Solution Folder Structure

I just wanted to check whether I had set up my solution OK in VS 2008.

It seems to be working correctly but I'm still not sure how to use the ASPDNSFCommon, ASPDNSFControls and ASPDNSFGateway directories.

I'm concerned that they are one directory level out - or something is not quite right!

Basically I have renamed the folder 'Web' and called it 'wwwroot'.

The folders I have in Inetpub are ASPDNSFCommon, ASPDNSFControls and ASPDNSFGateway and of course wwwroot plus a couple more IIS prerequisites that I'm not concerned about.

In an earlier post you mentioned that the ASPDNSF Core files (Common, Controls, Gateway) would compile into web/bin.

Will having renamed that folder wwwroot cause a problem when I attempt to compile??

Do I need to create a virtual directory for wwwroot in iis called 'web' then?

If I don't set up a virtual directory (web not wwwroot) then will the dll's not compile into wwwroot/bin correctly and throw up some kind of error??

Apart from that does my structure sound correct??

I hope I make sense!

Thanks in advance, Adam

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Try this, go to the .sln file itself, right click and open it up in notepad or VS, ensure that the 'Web' was changed to wwwroot or whatever.

Debug.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "Web\"
    Release.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "Web\"
    SlnRelativePath = "Web\"

Adam M is offline Junior Member

My Web folder is called wwwroot.

I have looked in the solution file itself and this is what I found:

Debug.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "..\wwwroot\"
    Release.AspNetCompiler.PhysicalPath = "..\wwwroot\"

I found nothing at all for SlnRelativePath

Does this sound OK to you???

Many thanks, Adam