Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Moving Live Site to a New Server

jspatt2 is offline Junior Member

Default Moving Live Site to a New Server

We are moving our LIVE site to a new server. I created a new install of AspDotNetStorefront and a new, empty database. My web.config file is working and I am transferring my Web files to the new site with no issues.

I am having a problem moving the databases. I thought I could just do a backup and restore on the new server - but that isn't working. SQL Express will not let me restore from a different database.

Is there a tool or script to copy data from my current LIVE site and upload it to the new site?

Thanks in advance.

Skriver is offline Senior Member

Whats the exact error you see?

jspatt2 is offline Junior Member

Actually, I may have figured this one out. I was getting an error in SQL Express that said I couldn't restore a backup from a different database. I changed the options to 'replace existing files' and it worked.

I am now waiting for all of my web files to FTP to the new server so I can (hopefully) start some testing.

This is the first time I have actually tried moved the site and I was not the one who set up our original site - so I am encountering some issues - but not as many as I had anticipated.

Thank you for your reply -