Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Dev - Lic Not Working with ML 9.3 - Subdomain dev.aspdotnetstorefront.mydomain.com

stevewest9 is offline Junior Member

Default Dev - Lic Not Working with ML 9.3 - Subdomain dev.aspdotnetstorefront.mydomain.com

I have followed the instructions on this form using the "localhost" works, but I am trying to test the site against multiple browsers in a dev environment. I have tried the subdomain method mentioned here, but it doesn't work.

http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...tore-9101.aspx

I tried

aspdotnetstorefront.mydomain.com

and I tried

dev.aspdotnetstorefront.mydomain.com

and nothing seems to work

Please advise on how (besides registering another domain to the key.... I'm trying to avoid doing that for dev so we can have a true staging and multiple dev workstations).

Thanks.

John Morrison is offline Junior Member

There are a couple of things that used to cause some issues.

1. Sometimes the initial development license would be expired, you can see this in the /admin/about.aspx, in that case i would go on to live chat or the support form and ask them to update our development time.

2. I was told that you needed something before the aspdotnetstorefront.mydomain.dev, I noticed you tried dev, and that hopefully should have fixed it. Internally we use www.aspdotnetstorefront.clientname.dev

3. Multiple licx files can cause problems, make sure only the correct licx file exists in the images directory.

I hope this helps!

vedran is offline Member

Also, get in touch with them and tell them your problem. They were kind enough to change and upgrade my license on several occasions.
    I had to develop store on ip address, and they were nice to upgrade the license to IP.

Hope it helps.

Thanks guys, I'll circle back to that and give those a try. For now I'm still using localhost and then using a host file when I need to access the dev from remote for demo purposes.

We're going to buy an additional license for the new client, but they haven't settled on the domain name they want to use yet...that's why this is so challenging.

Apparently, staging/dev licenses expire..... this is new to me.

Also, I just ran a network monitor trace when I pulled up the site and found that ASPDNSF is basically spying on you when you run their software. If you do an IIS reset, and then start up your site in dev or live, they make a call to this URL:

http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com/L...ification.aspx

passing your license key and the URL that was used to access that license key.

I'm not exactly OK with them doing this without disclosure of this fact..... It's kind of unethical in my opinion to make a verification without CLEAR disclosure......

I don't have a problem with buying a license for each of my clients using the software, as a software provider myself I think it's a good thing.... but this is lame that they're doing this!

I now found another issue with this...

If your server is blocking outbound HTTP traffic, or if it cannot resolve www.aspdotnetstorefront.com, then it will take an additional 30 to 40 seconds to start up while the software waits for an HTTP response from it's outbound communication to verify or log the license usage.

This will happen about once every 24 hours by default because IIS will automatically recycle ASP.net about every 24 hours.

This is not good..... I have submitted a support ticket to them to discuss this.

If they are going to do this, it should be disclosed on the license, and the outbound call should NOT be made inline blocking IIS requests from being processed. If you have a very busy site, this could actually take down the entire server.

Bad design, bad business practice!