Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Writing a SQL query to migrate "Genre" data into "Category" data?

imbrognaphoto is offline Junior Member

Default Writing a SQL query to migrate "Genre" data into "Category" data?

My 9.3 package runs two storefronts, one of which uses Vibe Trib for product searching/sorting. When we were running 8.012 and only had one storefront, we created all our search attributes as Genres. Since upgrading, we have discovered that Genres are not supported the same way as Categories or Departments; setting EntityFiltering to "true" causes all the attributes to disappear in the store that still uses Trib.

I would like to migrate all my attributes from Genre to Category. Our SQL db is in 2008 R2. I've set up a local dev environment almost entirely just to figure this out, but I know next to nothing about SQL database management or responsible query-writing, and would like to resolve this in less than the couple months it will take me to learn completely. Any advice on where to start-- relevant SQL tutorials, something I missed in the user documentation, etc?

**UPDATE**
    AlynnLee/Vibe is handling the migration for us, so there's really no rush on my end... but I'd still appreciate any recommendations on good places to learn SQL management. Thanks again!

**ANOTHER UPDATE**
    Okay, I just feel silly-- I didn't even look at the w3schools.com SQL tutorials first.
    Last edited by imbrognaphoto; 11-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.

SWillis is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by imbrognaphoto View Post
    ...I'd still appreciate any recommendations on good places to learn SQL management. Thanks again!

**ANOTHER UPDATE**
    Okay, I just feel silly-- I didn't even look at the w3schools.com SQL tutorials first.
    Take a look at SQLServerCentral.com and sign up for their free daily newsletter. I've learned more from that newsletter over the years than anything else. Lots of SQL specific scripts, articles, etc., as well.

Steven C. Willis
    Director, Database Administration & Development
    The Moore Creative Company
    swillis@moorecreative.com