Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Total Products in Category and it descendants

Garf is offline Senior Member

Default Total Products in Category and it descendants

Has anyone got a hint or a how to on getting a list of all the products in a category and it's sub categories no matter the depth

ie:

Cat 1 ( sum of all of the cat 1.x products and sub categories)
    - Cat 1.1 ( sum of all of cat 1.1.x products)
    - Cat 1.1.1 (sum of all 1.1.1x products)
    - Cat 1.1.2 (sum of all 1.1.2x products)
    - Cat 1.2 (sum of all 1.2x products)

I keep getting problems with it adding the sub sub categories to the categories totals
    if that makes sense

donttryathome is offline Senior Member

This was covered in another thread, but sadly the solution (which works) I could not use.

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...0107#post90107

It seems you have to use an XML package to display product count, so if your skin uses custom/manually displayed category listings, it probably won't work for you.
    Running: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2

That's great as far as it goes but it doesn't show the number of products in the ancestors.

That shows something like
    Cat 1 (0)
    - Cat 1.1 (0)
    - - Cat 1.1.1(3)
    - - Cat 1.1.2(2)
    etc

I want it to show
    Cat 1 (5)
    - Cat 1.1 (5)
    - - Cat 1.1.1(3)
    - - Cat 1.1.2(2)

Did you make sure to reset your cache?

I just tested it on my end and I am seeing the total number for all categories, including parent categories.

Yep everything restarted.

It's not a standard XML Package, so I might be missing a recursive count somewhere

Here's the package I used when I tested this. Maybe you can compare them and figure out what you're missing.

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes" ?>
    <!-- ###################################################################################################### -->
    <!-- Copyright AspDotNetStorefront.com, 1995-2009.  All Rights Reserved.					                -->
    <!-- http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com														                -->
    <!-- For details on this license please visit  the product homepage at the URL above.		                -->
    <!-- THE ABOVE NOTICE MUST REMAIN INTACT.                                                                   -->
    <!-- ###################################################################################################### -->
    <package version="2.1" displayname="Categories" debug="false" includeentityhelper="true">
        <PackageTransform>
            <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform" xmlns:aspdnsf="urn:aspdnsf" exclude-result-prefixes="aspdnsf">
                <xsl:output method="html" omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>
                <xsl:param name="CategoryID">
                    <xsl:choose>
                        <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showmanufacturer.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showsection.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showdistributor.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showvector.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showgenre.aspx'">0</xsl:when>
                        <xsl:when test="/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' and boolean(/root/QueryString/categoryid)">
                            <xsl:value-of select="/root/QueryString/categoryid"/>
                        </xsl:when>
                        <xsl:when test="(/root/System/PageName = 'showcategory.aspx' or /root/System/PageName = 'showproduct.aspx') and boolean(/root/Cookies/lastviewedentityinstanceid) and /root/Cookies/lastviewedentityname = 'Category'">
                            <xsl:value-of select="/root/Cookies/lastviewedentityinstanceid"/>
                        </xsl:when>
                        <xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>
                    </xsl:choose>
                </xsl:param>
                <xsl:param name="AncestorID">
                    <xsl:for-each select="/root/EntityHelpers/Category//Entity[EntityID = $CategoryID]">
                        <xsl:value-of select="ancestor::*/EntityID"/>
                    </xsl:for-each>
                <xsl:param name="ParentID">
                    <xsl:for-each select="/root/EntityHelpers/Category//Entity[EntityID = $CategoryID]">
                        <xsl:value-of select="parent::*/EntityID"/>
                    </xsl:for-each>
                <xsl:template match="/">
                    <xsl:element name="ul">
                        <xsl:attribute name="class">
                            <![CDATA[tame]]>
                        </xsl:attribute>

<xsl:apply-templates select="/root/EntityHelpers/Category/Entity">
                            <xsl:with-param name="prefix" select="''"/>
                        </xsl:apply-templates>

</xsl:element>
                </xsl:template>
    			<xsl:template match="Entity">
                    <xsl:param name="prefix"></xsl:param>
                    <xsl:param name="eName" select="aspdnsf:GetMLValue(Name)" />
                    <li class="tame">
                        <xsl:value-of select="$prefix" />
                        <xsl:if test="number(ParentEntityID) != 0">
                            <!-- <span class="catMark">&gt;&gt;</span>&#160; -->
                        </xsl:if>
                        <a href="{concat('c-',EntityID,'-',SEName,'.aspx')}">
                            <xsl:if test="EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID">
                                <xsl:attribute name="style">font-weight:bold</xsl:attribute>
                            <xsl:value-of select="$eName"/>
    						<!--output the number of products for this category-->
    						<xsl:value-of select="concat(' (', NumObjects, ')')" />						
                        </a>
    					<xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0">
    	                    <!-- <xsl:if test="count(child::Entity)&gt;0 and (EntityID = $CategoryID or descendant::Entity/EntityID = $CategoryID)"> -->
                            <ul class="tame">
                                <xsl:apply-templates select="Entity">
                                    <!-- <xsl:with-param name="prefix" select="concat($prefix, '&#160;&#0160;')"/> -->
                                </xsl:apply-templates>
                            </ul>
                    </li>
                </xsl:template>
            </xsl:stylesheet>
        </PackageTransform>
    </package>

I ran that in conjunction and I still get the number of products in the category, not in the descendants as well

I think I see what may be happening here...The solution I provided will only tell you the number of products mapped to that category, regardless of level. I suppose I mis-read your original request.

The easiest way I can think to do what you want to do (add 2 sub categories together and list that total in the parent category?) is to simply map all products in the sub categories to the parent category.

Category 1 (299)
    -- Sub Category 1 (88) <---Map all these products to Category 1
    -- Sub Category 2 (199) <---Map all of these products to Category 1
    -- Sub Category 3 (12) <---Map all of these products to Category 1

If you need Category 1 to remain empty, this obviously won't work for you. Although, there really is no reason to want it to remain empty...Why display that there are 200 products in the parent category when there really aren't any products there?

Hope this helps.

Edit: I am assuming you haven't mapped any products to the parent categories, otherwise you'd see the number of products in the parent category using the solution I linked to..

webopius is offline Senior Member

I noticed another thread with a similar question and posted a SQL statement that might get the data you need...

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ht=#post114777