Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: New UK Cookie Laws

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Default New UK Cookie Laws

Hi

How are others in the UK dealing with the new Cookie laws that come into effect next month? I know there was some talk last year about how ASPDNSF will be affected but have not heard anymoer.

From the BBC...

On 26 May the UK's Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) imposes an EU directive designed to protect internet users' privacy.

The law says that sites must provide "clear and comprehensive" information about the use of cookies - small files which allow a site to recognise a visitor's device.

It says website managers must:

Tell people that the cookies are there
    Explain what the cookies are doing
    Obtain visitors' consent to store a cookie on their device

Does this apply to shopping carts too?

Would like to read what others are doing.

Effortless is offline Junior Member

... nothing yet - would also like so hear what other people are looking to implement.

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Any chance that Vortex could follow up their webinar from last year?

fooster is offline Member

Personally I'm taking a wait and see approach- just scrub up you cookie policy to ensure that all your cookies are documented with links to appropriate places.

I read an interview with the ICO where they were not exactly gung go for sites that don't follow the letter of the law. As long as you follow the spirit of th law thn thy are fine. They also didn't have an issue with google analytics cookies.

If you want to do something more proactive you could do worse then implementing this:

http://www.civicuk.com/cookie-law/index

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

ross is offline Junior Member

Default pop up

we noticed a few sites have a pop up come up as soon as you go on a site explain it once you accept it you never see it again on that site or it tells you how to disable them on there computer - does anyone now how to make a pop up for it ?

fooster is offline Member

The key change is that the ICO hs said there is 'implied consent'- so whilst there are some sites (I'm looking at you bbc.co.uk) that would have spent considerable resources to implement the letter of the law prior to the last minute change in guidelines its not really necessary.

I would look to retail sites like johnlewis.com- no pop up there- just a reasonably prominent link to an about cookies page:

http://www.johnlewis.com/Magazine/Fe...fpromo_cookies

Or check out asda.co.uk for their implementation:

http://www.asda.co.uk/

If thats ok for them its ok for me. YMMMV
    Last edited by fooster; 06-08-2012 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added aditionla example

Skriver is offline Senior Member

I noticed too many sites in the UK are using the pop up. We have added a Cookie Statement to our sites (cleared by our legal dept) so we will see what happens next.