Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Cannot encrypt web.config

omairkha is offline Member

Question Cannot encrypt web.config

Hi, I'm having trouble encrypting my web.config file.

I ran the configuration wizard and clicked on yes for the Encrypt Web.Config option.

After clicking submit I get the "Configuration Wizard completed successfully" notice.

But when I click on Home the Security Audit still reads "web.config file is not encrypted..."

Clicking on the configuration wizard again confirms the Encrypt Web.Config option is marked as No.

Any suggestions?

Using MS 9.1.0.1

Thanks

kdatasystems is offline Junior Member

Hi Omairkha,

When encrypting your Web.config file, does your IIS user account (i.e. NetworkService or IIS AppPool\[application pool name]) have write permissions to the file? I know that when I encrypt or decrypt my web.config file, I always have to temporarily provide my IIS user account with write access on the file. As a side note, if you leave the write permissions active, your Security Audit will throw a new message alerting you that your web.config file is writable.

Hope this helps.

Hi kdatasystems,

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I have already tried that and still the same result. When I give iuser write access to web.config it shows the web.config is editable message in the security audit but the wizard still does not encrypt the file.

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Hi deanfp,

Thanks for that link! The web.config encrypted fine after giving write access to both the file and the root folder!

Broadwood is offline Member

Default Great!

This helped me too. I recently changed to a new server for PCI DSS and spent hours trying to fathom this out.