Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: order weight

chrismartz is offline Senior Member

Default order weight

I have been unsuccessful at tracking down where the order total weight is calculated that is passed to fedex for rtshipping (fedex.cs). It says package.Weight but when I look that up, it just loops through all items and doesn't omit ones flagged as freeshipping. I must be looking in the wrong place. Any suggestions?

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

If there is even one item that isn't free shipping, then the weight must be totaled including free shipping items unless the free shipping items are also flagged as ship separately (I'm guessing).
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

So if you have an item that is marked as freeshipping, and one that isn't, it sends the total weight of both items to fedex for a rate request? How does that make the item free shipping?

FedEx will still need to know the weight of the box, no matter how it is charged. I would have to step through the code to see all that is going on, but I would expect there would be two calls to the service, one for free shipping items and one for all items and then the difference be used to know what to charge the customer. However, the ASPDNSF folks may not be doing it that way. I actually flag everything in my store as ship separately so that I get more accurate result on pricing and if the estimates are off, they are a little high so I don't loose money on shipping.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

I can understand why they did it this way. I just need to find where I can throw in some logic to take out the weight of items marked as freeshipping and another value. I thought this would be in Shipping.cs but i'm not seeing it

I would just mark them as ship separately. That should fix the problem.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM