Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Newbie needs very basic SQL / C# help

JasonTD is offline Member

Default Newbie needs very basic SQL / C# help

Hi folks,

I'm very green when it comes to custom coding, but I want to tackle a minor project on my own and learn as I go. I need to implement a new page that will perform a couple of basic SQL queries and display the results. I have done something similar before in a much earlier version of ASPDNSF using the DB.GetDS() and DB.ExecuteSQL() functions, but it's been a long time, and I really can't remember how I got things set up and working correctly.

Could someone please give me a little guidance to get me started? I'm working in C# with Multistore 9.2. I'm basically just hoping to create a new pair of .aspx and .aspx.cs files to do this querying and then displaying. I have a feeling that what I need to know is what proper includes I need to have, as well as anything I should know about connecting to the database in order to use the proper functions.

I apologize if any of this seems unclear or incomplete... As I said, I'm pretty new to this, and I'm trying to figure it out as I go.

Thanks so much for any assistance!
    Jason

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Hi Jason

What is it you are actually trying to call/display?

JasonTD is offline Member

I have added an additional table to my database called SubscriberInfo. My store sells comic books and collectibles, and this table holds information about which customers are subscribed to which comics (a transaction handled outside of the ASPDNSF shopping cart, but the list needs to be trackable on the website anyway). Eventually I'll be doing more complex queries with it, but for now I just need to be able to do a SELECT query that returns a dataset containing all the comic book titles associated in the table with the customer ID number of the customer currently logged in.

Once I get that working, I'll have a grasp on the querying again and plan to make the list editable through a form interface. I got all this working on my old site (in an old version of ASPDNSF) but just can't remember how the pieces all fit together.