Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Getting MultiStore Intalled for the First Time

JasonTD is offline Member

Default Getting MultiStore Intalled for the First Time

Hi folks,

I recently purchased my Update Rights and am about to begin rebuilding my webstore from the beginning on a new shared hosting account at Arvixe, using the newest version of MultiStore. I was able to download the package and upload it via FTP, but I don't really know what to do from that point forward. I have very basic knowledge of these sorts of things, and I can follow explicit instructions well, but I just don't know where to look for guidance. I've tried searching the forums and elsewhere but just can't find specific instructions on settign up the database, editing the web.config file, and whatever else I need to do to get things running. Could someone please point me in the right direction? I really want to do this stuff myself so that I'll know how it's done in the future, but I need a little hand holding to get to that point.

Thanks so much,
    Jason

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Have you seen the install guides in the online manual? They generally cover everything you need to do to get the software up and running.

If you've been through those, is there a specific item you're stuck on?

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott View Post
    Have you seen the install guides in the online manual? They generally cover everything you need to do to get the software up and running.

If you've been through those, is there a specific item you're stuck on?
    Hi Scott, and thanks so much for the reply. I had looked through the manuals and couldn't get them to make sense for me, but somehow after following your link and taking another look, it's sounding more doable. I think all the IIS stuff was tripping me up, as I somehow had missed that I could skip those steps if I'm installing to a shared hosting account.

One question I do have is about the SQL Server Management Studio. I'm using Windows 7 locally but haven't been able to get the studio installed successfully. Is there a specific version or method I should be using that I might not be aware of? I tried doing troubleshooting via Google, but nothing I tried managed to get the studio to install. I previously had it installed on Win XP with no problems, so I guess I just need something that I can get working under Win7.

Thanks again,
    Jason

Just an update... I did more digging and was able to find a patch I needed to install to get the management studio running. It looks like I'm okay now with that, so I'll try following he manuals, and hopefully I won't run into any other issues.

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Hi

I went through the upgrade from v7 to 9 and then Multi Store so know how you feel! Happy to give you any guidance that you need

Thanks for the offer of help! I've made a little progress but have gotten stuck again, I suspect largely because I'm having trouble mapping the instructions from the manual (dealing with IIS) over to getting things done on my hosting account at Arvixe. Here's what I've done so far:

1) I downloaded and extracted the ASPDNSF files and uploaded them to my hosting account.

The manual says I need to change the permissions for the /images and /AddIns folders. Since they are on the remote server and not local, I'm not sure how to do that. I can pull up the permissions options for them when I look at them in my FTP client but am not sure what to set those to or if that's even where I'm supposed to be looking. Since I wasn't sure about any of that, I haven't done anything with the /images and /AddIns folders other than uploading them. I moved on to the next step...

2) I created a database on the Arvixe server and ran the SQL code to build the ASPDNSF database structure. This appears to have completed correctly and successfully.

3) I edited the web.config file to include an encrypt key, and I added the correct (or what I believe to be the correct) details about the database connection on the DBConn line.

That's where things get fuzzy for me. I have activated all the IIS options on my local Windows 7 system as described in the manual, but I don't understand what to do on the server, as that's where my files actually are. I can't figure out how to get the site to show up in the IIS Manager, and I keep getting errors every time I try to add it. Because of that, I haven't been able to do the Add Application steps.

If anyone could help me understand the parts that are giving me trouble, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm hoping those are steps I can complete on my own, as the Arvixe tech support has not been very helpful to this point. In fact, I'm considering changing hosting companies, but I'll still want to understand all these steps even if I do change.

Thanks again,
    Jason

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Hi

Ok so it looks like you have access to your hosting server, which is the most important thing.

The manual says I need to change the permissions for the /images and /AddIns folders.

Ok lets do this first for addins and then you can try the same again on images.

1.Right click on the addins folder
    2.Select properties
    3. Select Security
    4.Click Edit
    5.Click Add
    6.Click Advanced
    7. Click Find Now
    8. Select NETWORK SERVICE
    9.Click OK and again
    10. Tick Allow for all boxes except Special Permissions

Now the Network Service has access to that folder, the same will apply for images

Ok so next it looks like your having trouble with IIS so lets see if this helps

1. On the server open up IIS Manager (Start>Admin Tools>IIS Manager)
    2. Click on the server name in the left hand nav panel
    3.Right click the default website name and select Add Application
    4.Enter a name for your website and click Select
    5.Select Default App Pool then OK
    6.For the Physical path you are looking for where you saved the ASPDNSF files too so click the … button and then locate the web folder (its usually under inetpub/wwwroot/web) then select ok. This is now binding your website within IIS.

Let me know when you have tried this and then we can go to the next steps of default files within IIS. To see if this solved your problems