Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: HTML Editor in Firefox 6

ideal_airsoft is offline Member

Default HTML Editor in Firefox 6

Just upgraded to Firefox 6 and now my HTML editor is not showing up. Version 8. Anyone else having this problem. I'm just seeing the raw HTML. IE works fine and chrome works fine as well. Firefox was working fine till I upgraded to version 6 this morning.

baba is offline Senior Member

We too face the same issue. Any fixes for this?
    Take Care

B-A-B-A

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

We've seen another report of this as well, but most of us here are using FF6 now and are still seeing the editor just fine.

When you say you're 'seeing the raw HTML' - do you mean the page isn't loading properly (so you're seeing HTML from our pages), or you're seeing the HTML contents of your topics, descriptions, etc?

seasonalsin is offline Senior Member

I am seeing just a white box and the html code on the page. In FF6 it removed the HTML editor all together. In IE I still see the review of the page but none of the buttons are showing. I am still using 7.1 so a different editor but same results.

Thoughts?
    Shawn

http://www.FirstChoiceMarine.com

Currently 7.1 moving to MS9.3

I am also seeing just a textarea with the html code for, say, the description. It's acting as if the html editor is turned off in the app config.

dragon is offline Member

Same here. It just shows the html. All of the editing options are gone. It will not display like it does on the site. I will put in a screen shot.Name:  Picture 1.png
Views: 413
Size:  17.4 KB It will not let you click to get out of this mode or do anything else with it. That is as big of a picture as it would like be load. I'm in 8.0.1.2 it is doing on the mac's and the pc's
    Need Halloween Costumes?
    Don't let your party be a bust because you didn't shop with us!
    HalloweenAndCostumes.com

digitalranch is offline Junior Member

Default Same Issues Using 8.0.1.4

We are experiencing the same issues with version 8.0.1.4. As soon as we upgraded to Firefox 6, the editor stopped working. Any place where the editor should appear only shows the textarea, no editor.

Tek7 is offline Senior Member

We are seeing this with all our sites in Firefox 6 and IE 9. Whats going on?
    May

Any answers yet? This is happening on 3 different websites.
    May

activee is offline Junior Member

Default Same issue

We have multiple reports from customers as well. The editor words fine in chrome, IE, and Safari, but in FireFox the content is only available in code view.

Shampoostore is offline Junior Member

We too have the same issue When updated to Firefox 6.0

Upscale_Automotive is offline Senior Member

+1

We are also having this issue exactly. Subscribed to this thread and awaiting advice.

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Strange. I have no issues here. HTML editor works fine.

Seems like the majority of users are experiencing this problem. Any word on what could be causing this?

Is this being investigated? Thank you.
    May

SwankIBS is offline Junior Member

Default add 3 more to this...

i had two clients contact me today about their html editor suddenly disappearing. i logged in and saw it just fine! on a whim, i upgraded my Firefox from 5 to 6, and sure as hell the rad editor is now gone.

i'm sure i'll be hearing from more clients in the next few days...

please look into this and let us know what we can do... thanks!

dragon is offline Member

Has anyone heard anything on this? Our editor is gone and it is having problems pull up the return pdf form for the customers.
    Need Halloween Costumes?
    Don't let your party be a bust because you didn't shop with us!
    HalloweenAndCostumes.com

Wilff is offline Junior Member

User Rumen posted a solution on Telerik forums, but for me this is not a permanent solution, because you need to add this part of code in every single file the editor is called from...

For example in topics.aspx.cs and for the description editor...

Code:
    if (Request.Browser.Browser.ToLowerInvariant() == "firefox")
    {
       System.Reflection.FieldInfo browserCheckedField = typeof(RadEditor).GetField("_browserCapabilitiesRetrieved", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
       browserCheckedField.SetValue(radDescription, true);
       System.Reflection.FieldInfo browserSupportedField = typeof(RadEditor).GetField("_isSupportedBrowser", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
       browserSupportedField.SetValue(radDescription, true);
    }
    HTML Code:
    <tr>
       <td align="right" valign="top" height="380">
           <font class="subTitleSmall">Description:</font>
       </td>
       <td align="left" valign="top">
            <asp:Literal ID="ltDescription" runat="server"></asp:Literal>
            <ed:RadEditorWrapper runat="server" id="radDescription"></ed:RadEditorWrapper>
        </td>
    </tr>
    This solution works for us, but if you have many customers and if you are going to change every single file, its a lot of work...

Is there a better way to fix this? The same problem exists in Firefox 7 beta 1, so probably Firefox wont change this behavior...

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

We found that thread too and did some testing with it, but like you said it's not a great fix - having to mod every file that contains the editor (multiple times in some cases) is kind of ugly.

We're looking into other options, but it's a little tricky since the issue's in the older version of that Telerik control, which they don't support anymore and we have limited access to (a lot of their code is obfuscated).

We'll post when we come up with a decent solution.

Still subscribed and watching closely. Wanted to update that I have also lost partial functionality of the editor in IE. I am only able to see the row of buttons that includes the "<>" HTML view button.

dvdbglw is offline Member

Anxiously waiting for the result here as well.

Upscale_Automotive - Your issue in IE may possibly be compatibility view. Try throwing your browser into compatibility view, then editing and see if that works. Again, it's a workaround and not a fix, but it's one extra click to allow you to keep working.

Jon Calkins is offline Junior Member

Default Ff6

Quote Originally Posted by ideal_airsoft View Post
    Just upgraded to Firefox 6 and now my HTML editor is not showing up. Version 8. Anyone else having this problem. I'm just seeing the raw HTML. IE works fine and chrome works fine as well. Firefox was working fine till I upgraded to version 6 this morning.
    Yes! Erik with tech support said that in fact there is an issue with FF6, with no fix at this time. He wrote: "Yes, it is a compatibility issue with Firefox 6.0. We do not yet have a fix for this. These things often occur when the nutty browser companies make a new release. The best fix is to uninstall FF6 and reinstall FF5. "

Quote Originally Posted by dvdbglw View Post
    Anxiously waiting for the result here as well.

Upscale_Automotive - Your issue in IE may possibly be compatibility view. Try throwing your browser into compatibility view, then editing and see if that works. Again, it's a workaround and not a fix, but it's one extra click to allow you to keep working.
    Thanks for the tip. It is odd IE requires compatibility view for this to work. I wonder why there would be such a harsh change in a browser update...

Interesting issue, likely related... http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...Slow-to-Update

For those wanting to revert, it is easiest to just go back to 3.6.21 and it is still supported by Mozilla. http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all-older.html

newtothis is offline Senior Member

I am running version 8, and even with the older version I still cant see it. Nor can I see it with IE or Chrome

mmcgeachy is offline Senior Member

The other option is if you have Telerik RadControls for ASP.NET Ajax already is to just update the dll. Then either take out or update the version references for Telerik.Web.UI in the web.config. At least that is what I did when I updated the telerik control myself.

I can use the html editor fine on FF6. What problems are you all having?

Classic_Exotic is offline Member

Is any attempt being made to find a fix for this issue? I have the same issue with no editor appearing and am also waiting on a solution.
    Classic & Exotic Service, Inc.
    Specialty Parts For Prewar Cars
    www.classicandexotic.com

lmrazek is offline Member

Has support addressed this issue yet? I have a ticket out there ... haven't heard anything back.

Any other solutions?

It doesn't seem like the issue is being addressed. My solution was to downgrade to the previous version of Firefox as that seems to be the only foreseeable fix.
    www.classicandexotic.com

allstar is offline Member

Reverting back to the previous browser version is not an option. AspDotNetStorefront Staff what is the solution???
    ...AllStar

dana@vortx.com is offline Administrator

We have been critically aware of the challenges created by the release of browsers (chief among them is FF6) which do not play nicely with the version of Telerik controls that are such an integral part of the AspDotNetStorefront. The problem is prevalent in ML8.

While we hate the impact that such changes in the surrounding technology stack have on our released software products, we also acknowledge that it will never stop. No software (unless it is SaaS, hosted and multi-tenanted) is capable of mutating overnight to match its changing environment. We have been faced with making a decision about our response which needed, as in everything we try to do, “thinking all the way through.” Since we know that this is not the last time we will face such a result, we felt the need to create a process which we can take with us into our growing future.

We have already made it abundantly clear that we are completely committed to configuration management (there is a great explanation in Wikipedia). This means that retrospective patches will be almost unheard of out of our labs. Service packs and maintenance releases are the method we choose to answer the need for change. Our solution is very heavily tied in with our decision to instate Update Rights, in order that those of our customers who see the benefit of moving with us through well configured software releases can do so for a managed annual cost.

We are pre-releasing the news that the Firefox/Telerik issue has been resolved in ML8 8.1 which will be released within a few days. Those people who buy or have already purchased Update Rights can take full advantage of the new version immediately upon its release under the cover of our support and approval. For those who are opting out of the Update Rights path, there are at least two options – the Telerik solution has been posted earlier in this thread. Equally, of course, there is the simple option to use an older browser.

Thank you.
    Dana Greaves
    CEO, Vortx / AspDotNetStorefront

This blog post seems to have a potential solution but alas I cannot speak French

http://metatips.webs.com/apps/blog/s...y-in-firefox-6

dvdbglw is offline Member

deanfp, I don't speak or read French either, but Google does, sort of. Those instructions are outlining one way of updating the editor.

If I am understanding this thread correctly, we have not none, but 3 options to fix this.

1. Revert our browser to an older version or use a different browser
    2. Update the Telerik editor as Wilff and mmcgeachy mentioned
    3. Work with ASPDNSF and the different upgrade options they have available as Dana mentioned

I'll try the Telerik option for now while the decision is made by our client regarding upgrade rights.

walkinwillie is offline Member

Thumbs down

Sure, we can update to 8.1 but THEN we lose the Google Feed on the Products menu. Yes, I KNOW the Google Feed will not be correct beginning 9/22/2011 but at least it would be there to modify - which is not a bad option to do.

I am one of the fortunate ones in that I have an up-to-date Telerik ASP.NET AJAX suite of controls so I will try that option.

This is not a good thing.

ericwastaken is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Upgrade to a new version (possibly for a large fee) is not a way to treat customers!

Quote Originally Posted by dana@vortx.com View Post

We are pre-releasing the news that the Firefox/Telerik issue has been resolved in ML8 8.1 which will be released within a few days. Those people who buy or have already purchased Update Rights can take full advantage of the new version immediately upon its release under the cover of our support and approval. For those who are opting out of the Update Rights path, there are at least two options – the Telerik solution has been posted earlier in this thread. Equally, of course, there is the simple option to use an older browser.

Dana,

This is bad business and a poor way to treat customers! I am SHOCKED and as someone that builds web based software for a living, I know this problem first hand but can't bring myself to agree with your approach!

Though I understand the web is dynamic and you can't be expected to support EVERY version of your product FOREVER with EVERY browser, this is not a problem relegated to a very old version of ASPDNSF. This is a problem (and a simple one at that) in your MOST RECENT version! Requiring that customers "upgrade versions" is naive and a terrible business decision (not to mention an upgrade is an operation that is non-trivial and comes with MUCH MORE than just a fix to this problem). Considering an upgrade could also cost a substantial amount of money (especially for those that opted not to take your generous "Upgrade Rights" offer), I am amazed at your response to this. Fixing this issue does not require a whole new version of ASPDNSF! Additionally, suggesting that customers "revert back browsers" is plan INSULTING and akin to telling people to simple "use IE and all will be fine".

Honestly, I'd take back your post ASAP. It's an embarrassing statement.

The way you should have handled this, and hopefully you will reconsider, is to release a simple PATCH with the new Telerik DLL and either a utility that updates web.config for the customer OR clear instructions on what line in web.config needs to be changed.

I have several installations of ASPDNSF and only one client opted to buy upgrade rights. Nonetheless, as I have new projects requiring shopping cart, before this issue, I would have automatically jumped to ASPDNSF. Now, this stance on this issue makes me wonder what other problems in the future will bring you to leave your user base OUT COLD with a problem.

Horrible fumble for what is otherwise a simple problem with a simple fix YET huge visibility.

Sincerely,

Eric A. Soto

I agree - this is a disgusting way to treat clients over something that is so simple. If we treated our clients in the manner that Dana seems to think is perfectly acceptable, we would be out of business.

Ridiculous.
    www.classicandexotic.com

Just wondered. Now that FF 7 is out and 8 under Beta has this affected the bug at all if anyone has upgraded?

I have downloaded Firefox 7 and that does not cure the issue.

I have given up expecting ASP to address the issue and will take this as a sign of what can be expected for customer service related items in the future.
    www.classicandexotic.com

michaelpbuck is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Poor solution from ASPDNSF

I would just like to echo the sentiment that this is a poor response from ASPDNSF. Update rights are only a small portion of the cost to upgrade - to expect customers to spend thousands of dollars on an upgrade of software purchased a few months ago just to fix bugs like this is ridiculous.

dana@vortx.com is offline Administrator

We just want to say this. It’s your job to look after your clients and in your role as service providers we respect you greatly for that. Please offer us the same respect for looking after all of our customers as a product provider in the time honored manner of sound configuration management and delivery. Some end-users simply don’t want to follow the product path, and they have the right to step off, but those are not the customers we should be making our priority. We are glad that you are there to serve your own list. This is just a commercial choice for retailers. They can either pay us for product upgrades, or they can pay you for your services so that they needn’t upgrade.
    Dana Greaves
    CEO, Vortx / AspDotNetStorefront

Dickieb is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down

I too think that the lack of an easy fix for this problem is a very poor response especially for those of us who are end users and don't want to have to keep shelling more money for continuous upgrades. Why should it cost me $299 to upgrade the software simply to fix that one bug? Plus all the other costs and downtime involved in doing a full software version update.
    For those of you interested there is one slight work-around with this issue. If you go into "bulk update pricing" and click onto the product there to edit it then it comes up with a older style of HTML editor that actually works on the newer FF.

vacshack is offline Junior Member

Default Windows 7 Fix

If you are using Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate you can run in xp mode. In XP mode IE is ver 6.0.2900.5512 with service pack 3.

The text editor will work there. It is not a fix but a work around so you can start doing business.

It is too bad aspdnsf couldnt figure this out for us and then go to work to find a solution to the underlying problem.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Erik is offline Senior Member

Default Build ML8100 fixed Firefox 6/7 RadEditor issue

This was addressed quickly and a 'special edition' was released with the primary intent of resolving this issue. There are certainly better workarounds than using XP mode and IE6, as IE9 and Chrome running under Windows 7 work fine for the RadEditor in ML8. You may have to use Compatibility View, but that is simple to switch. You may also use a User Agent switcher add-on for Firefox 6/7 set to IE6/7/8. This is not a great workaround as you have to remember to switch it back to Firefox (default user agent) when done with your admin editing.

If interested in ML8100 (must have ML8012/8014 currently) then contact AspDotNetStorefront Sales.

ML8100 Release Notes
    Erik Sutton
    AspDotNetStorefront Technical Support

Wilff is offline Junior Member

With the help of Google translate, that French page and my small knowledge of decompiling DLLs, I tried to fix the DLL with the Reflector(http://www.reflector.net/), but with no success... all i got was errors and more errors...

http://i.imgur.com/He6cE.jpg
    Code:
    if (Regex.Match(input, @"rv: (1\.(3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10))|((2|3|4|5)\.\d))", RegexOptions.Compiled | RegexOptions.IgnoreCase).Success)
    The main problem is with the regular expression, which limits the browser versions to:
    - IE from 3 to 10
    - Safari/Firefox 2 to 5 (firefox now being 7.0.1, Beta in 8.0)
    - Not sure why it works with Chrome
    - Also Opera works, but they have different checking for it in the code

So the same problem will emerge if a user would install IE 11 or Safari 6 in the near future!

Anyone tried with the decompiling the dll?

sshapiro is offline Junior Member

Question

How does one employ this fix:

http://www.telerik.com/community/for...firefox-6.aspx

Are we editing entityEditProducts.aspx.cs?

sshapiro is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilff View Post
    User Rumen posted a solution on Telerik forums, but for me this is not a permanent solution, because you need to add this part of code in every single file the editor is called from...

For example in topics.aspx.cs and for the description editor...

Code:
    if (Request.Browser.Browser.ToLowerInvariant() == "firefox")
    {
       System.Reflection.FieldInfo browserCheckedField = typeof(RadEditor).GetField("_browserCapabilitiesRetrieved", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
       browserCheckedField.SetValue(radDescription, true);
       System.Reflection.FieldInfo browserSupportedField = typeof(RadEditor).GetField("_isSupportedBrowser", System.Reflection.BindingFlags.Instance | System.Reflection.BindingFlags.NonPublic);
       browserSupportedField.SetValue(radDescription, true);
    }
    HTML Code:
    <tr>
       <td align="right" valign="top" height="380">
           <font class="subTitleSmall">Description:</font>
       </td>
       <td align="left" valign="top">
            <asp:Literal ID="ltDescription" runat="server"></asp:Literal>
            <ed:RadEditorWrapper runat="server" id="radDescription"></ed:RadEditorWrapper>
        </td>
    </tr>
    This solution works for us, but if you have many customers and if you are going to change every single file, its a lot of work...

Is there a better way to fix this? The same problem exists in Firefox 7 beta 1, so probably Firefox wont change this behavior...

I have been trying to employ this workaround on our site for a while now ().
    In implementing on our topics.aspx.cs page I receive the following erorr:

Code:
    Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'RadEditor' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    What am I doing wrong? How were you able to get this workaround functioning?

Default Switch to Google Chrome

After months of consideration, I switched to Google Chrome and the HTML editor functions fine. Any bugs that Chrome may have previously had, trouble importing bookmarks and other issues, have been solved.

Switching to Google Chrome certainly trumps paying hundreds of dollars to a company for an add-on/fix for something they should be doing automatically, willingly and without fuss: supporting their product. ESPECIALLY when the 'thing' in question is simple and likely easy to have taken care of.
    www.classicandexotic.com

I hope you aren't referring to AspDotNetStorefront, as we provided more than just a fix for Firefox browser issues:

http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ase-notes.aspx

This is most likely the last ML8 version we will be releasing as well.

Since there were viable workarounds available to those using Firefox browsers (use IE, Chrome, older Firefox, Safari, etc), this was considered a fairly small issue. We bent over backwards to release a version that fixed it, and it did not take 'months' to make that decision.
    Erik Sutton

Now were on FF 9 is it still the same? I use Chrome now too. Much better IMO.

The Firefox issue will most likely not be resolved in future Firefox releases. Only ML8100 will be fixed for ML8 versions in Firefox. MSx (v9) uses the newer RadEditor which does not have the issue in any browser known at this time.

In time all things become outdated. We do our best to keep up with the grueling pace.
    Erik Sutton