Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: 8.0.1.4 Licensing fails on a regular basis

scode is offline Junior Member

Default 8.0.1.4 Licensing fails on a regular basis

Ever since we upgraded to the 8.0.1.4 from 8.0.1.2 the licensing was pain in the ass.

Every two or three days the site would stop working and start showing the dreadful "This site is running unlicensed aspdotnetstorefront.com software". It goes away when the Reset Cache is clicked.

We have been provided with a license that has both our domain name and the IP address assigned, and according to the Support it was supposed to take care of the problem. But it didn't. And we are continue losing revenue because due to this problem.

We have been using ASDNSF for about 4 years now but because of this problem I've started looking for a new shopping cart software.

I'm curious, has anyone else ran into similar problem with the licensing?

Thanks

mikemurphy is offline Senior Member

yes, we also get this intermittantly on our 8014 licence.

have to reboot mostly !
    8.0.1.4 W2008R2 64-bit MSSQL2005

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

I wont upgrade for fear of what all is broken. My next upgrade will involve shopping around for other solutions as well. Sad but true.

dmose is offline Junior Member

I'm having the same issue...except I can't even get into the back end to reset the cache so my site is permanently labeled 'THIS SITE IS RUNNING UNLICENSED SOFTWARE'

Seems like this is a common issue? We need a fix asap

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Default Patch Available

The underlying issue here is that the 'Unlicensed Software' message will only ever display on a site if it was accessed incorrectly. That's usually either by the IP address, at a domain alias it isn't licensed for, or at 'localhost' from the machine the software's running on. The proper way to prevent that message from displaying is to make sure that your site is only ever hit correctly.

With that being said, we realize that some folks don't have access to the IIS logs to see where those requests are coming from to try to prevent them, and on some occasions it's actually desirable to allow the site to be hit at the IP address rather than the domain name. For that reason, we have released a patch which changes how the licensing works slightly. Anyone on 8.0.1.4 or 9.1.0.1 can download the patch at the site linked to above. The patch has been in testing on several production sites for a while now and has performed as expected, so once you apply this you should be all set.

Note that the software will still only display properly at the address that it's licensed for, but the 'Unlicensed Software' message will now only affect requests that hit the site at the wrong address. Having that message come up will no longer affect all site visitors, so there's no fear of the site going 'down'.

dmose is offline Junior Member

Scott thanks for this!