Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: USPS August 24, 2011 API change

internexxt is offline Junior Member

Default USPS August 24, 2011 API change

We are currently running ML7. Our understanding was that if we upgraded to ML8 that we would then be ready for the new API. But comparing the USPS related code in 7 and the new code in 8, we're seeing that it is the same. Is that possible? Can anyone detail any specifics that are different with the new API that we might be missing? Is there any documentation on what specifically is changing and/or needs to be changed to be ready for August 24, 2011?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Soulfire86 is offline Junior Member

Anyone from ASPDNSF?? We are running 8.0.1.1 ML but are wondering, is this going to be handled by ASPDNSF or do we need to customize this USPS change ourselves?
    8.0.1.1 ML C# - Production
    9.0.1.2 ML C# - Development

walkinwillie is offline Member

Question

I would like an answer as well. Are my settings - i.e. http://Production.ShippingAPIs.com/ShippingAPI.dll - still the same. Are there any additional ones that I need to know? I got a letter a few days ago from the USPS saying that I was using the old API and needed to migrate to the new one by March 31, 2012

Couldn't find anything in the knowledge base and haven't found anything here yet.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

We addressed this back in February when USPS first announced those changes:

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...g-USPS-changes

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott View Post
    We addressed this back in February when USPS first announced those changes:

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...g-USPS-changes
    Scott, thanks for the reply but that post just says that ASPDNSF is working on the changes. Was there ever an announcement on the completion of the changes? What exactly do we customers need to do to our existing sites? I do have update rights but I would hate to update the whole site for one shipping change if it is just replacing a file or two.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

The new releases announced in that thread came out only a month or so later. Those have been available since March, and actually we've had subsequent releases for both 8x and MultiStore since that March release.

If you purchased the source code and have a developer who's able to port the changes back for you, you could download the source for the newer version and have them try to update just the USPS realtime shipping code and continue to run on your current version. I really wouldn't recommend that as you'd be missing out on a ton of bug fixes that we've added in those recent versions, but it's doable.

If you don't have the source, or a developer capable of porting those changes back, you should just upgrade to the latest release so your site can continue using USPS shipping.

Sheesh...yes, I have update rights but if I install the newest version then I lose my Google Feeds which I have modified - and it is in compliance with the new Google Feed spec. And yes, I have the source code - I suppose I can go through and figure out what to change as I am a .NET programmer but it sure would be nice if you guys put out a KB article and described what needs to be done (i.e. what files to switch out).

If the upgrade included the old Google Feed then I could modify that - no problem - but when you upgrade you lose (the Google Feed) functionality unless you want to fork out more bucks. It is just very, very hard for me to come to grips with an upgrade losing a core functionality that I paid for twice.

I just don't think this should be that hard.

HewattDesign is offline Junior Member

@walkinwillie - Did you ever hear a response on this or figure out how to integrate this into your existing ML8. We are in the same boat not wanting to upgrade because we've spent alot of time creating custom high performance feeds for Google Products and other shopping engines.

If you are an ASP.NET developer I might be willing to hire you to walk us through the USPS upgrade. Email me at andrew[at]hewattdesign[dot]com if you are interested.

Let me know,
    - Andrew