Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Backups and Restores

WebDave is offline Junior Member

Default Backups and Restores

Are there recommended procedures to follow for backuping and restoring the SQL databases? I have a dev server and I'd like to try these "disaster recovery" processes. Does my hosting provider do SQL backups? If there's any documentation, please let me know. (ML8) Eventually, I'd like to test the ExcelImport for products and I'm just following the guideline in the manual. Thanks!
    Version: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.4

deanfp is offline Senior Member

I usually back mine up manually before making any major change and also make a .rar copy of the webfiles two or three times a week.

Your hosts should do a SQL backup. Best check with them.

WebDave is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

I guess I need to search for documentation on BACKUP and RESTORE SQL commands (I'm a bit rusty.) I remember needing to backup the db and the transaction log (to replay the db should things go bad), but that may be overkill for this kind of site initially (probably stick with FULL BACKUPs to start.) I was hoping there were some docs on ASPDNSF regarding this, but maybe they don't want just anyone doing these procedures. Makes sense..
    Version: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.4

deanfp is offline Senior Member

I usually back up the whole SQL db from within SQL management Studio. Just right click on the db name then select backup. Though I usually put this in a different folder from the default.

Easy to restore that way as well. If you need any help wih backup or restore just drop me a message.