Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Entity Control nav

chrismartz is offline Senior Member

Default Entity Control nav

I am using the following line of code to list the categories and subcategories in my aspdnsf site.

Code:
    <aspdnsf:EntityControl ID="ctrlEntityCategory" runat="server" Header="leftnav" EntityType="Category" MaxMenuSize="<%$ Tokens:AppConfigUSInt, MaxMenuSize %>" />
    Does anyone know how I can limit the categories that show up in that list? I do not want one whole top-level category to ever show when the pages are loaded.

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

Limit based on what factor?
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

Currently, this will output the following:

Art
    Projects
    I want it to only show Art. It could be limited based on name or category ID. I just cannot find the sql query that pulls in the categories for this control.

In computer speak, how do you know you only want to show Art? Is it because it is the first entry? It starts with an A? Is less than 4 letters? I am looking up the code I used for filtering my categories, but if you just arbitrarily just want to show Art, why do you have the other category at all? You could just hide it or remove it.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

I would like to limit based on SEName or CategoryID. CategoryID would probably be best. I have a ton more categories and just gave two as an example.

So you'd filter based on a query string then?
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

I have added the following to entitycontrol.cs so that I can do an if statement to show or hide categories based on what is passed.

Code:
    private const string SHOW_CAT = "ShowCat"; // All = All Categories, Project = Projects, Cat = Categories no Projects

The code I modified is in ASPDNSFCore/ProductMappingLinkItem.vb. That file contains the logic by which items are selected from the database for presentation in the menu. I modified my code to limit to the 10 most populous manufacturers, but you can probably get information form the query string with little effort. Look at about line 460 in GetAllFirstLevel.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

webopius is offline Senior Member

You could just use an XmlPackage to render these Categories, then you have complete control over what is displayed and what gets filtered.