Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Customer Data Migration

zariaruiz is offline Member

Default Customer Data Migration

I was wondering if someone has previously migrated customer data and could outline how they handled the password issue, can I keep my old customers passwords or thats impossible? It would be much appreciated your help.

Thanks

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Migrated from what? If you can get those passwords in plain text, then you can put those in the related customer rows in the Customer table and set SaltKey to -1, and the next time you start the site up it'll encrypt them properly for our software.

mjg is offline Member

And for those cases where we've had clients that have not been able to recover the passwords in plain text from their legacy system, we would usually work with the client to craft an email to their customer base explaining all the benefits of the new website, instructions on how to request a new password through the storefront and maybe offering a short-term coupon to encourage them to come back and log into the new system and request their new password.

However, as Scott said, it is a trivial matter to carry legacy passwords across to the new site IF you can get that data in clear-text. Frankly I'm surprised at the number of other carts that WILL allow you export passwords like this. Just crazy from a security and liability standpoint if you ask me.

MJG
    EMM - Enhanced Email Manager