Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: SEO-Product Listing-V9

guptaat is offline Member

Question SEO-Product Listing-V9

Guys, couple of questions on best practices for SEO purposes

1. Is it better to create seperate page for each product withing a category i.e a seperate product under each category or
    2. Create single page and add products as variants so that customer can buy/see all the products on a single product page

e.g. Lets say I have 10 different products such as cups, plates, napkins in a design that all coordinate together (butterfly design). Is it better to create a new product for each item and place it under one category

OR

Create one product say Butterfly Pattern TableTop collection and place each item as variant such as Cup, Plates etc.

In version 9 I thought we could control how URL of products were created. Can not figure out where that setting is.

I am trying to figure out best way to categories and populate the site/products so that it can rise organically in search engines.
    If somebody can shed lights, I will much appreciate it

Thanks
    Amit

rickkozz is offline Member

Default SEO-Product Listing-V9

url is the productid and the name field

webopius is offline Senior Member

Amit

My only advice would be to first consider your Customer.

Once you have designed something that allows your Customer to browse and buy products effectively, then work on your second audience - the search engines.

With your particular scenario, I personally would create a category called 'Butterfly Pattern TableTop collection' and have all of the collection's products within this category. Within each product, make use of the related products feature to show associations between the other items available.

This would give the best balance of Customer functionality and SEO content benefit.

Adam

guptaat is offline Member

Default Product and SEO

Thanks for the reply webopius.

In the past keeping our customers first, I have usually created a single product and then added variants to allow customer to order all related products in one single click.

Thinking went that if all products were shown on page (as variants) hopefully customers would buy more items in one go as it avoid extra clicks even when related products were shown under related products.

But this format resulted in only 1 page for SE and consequently hurt the rankings.

I will now try out your suggestion and see how things go. Also if try to see if I can replicate same customer facing solution using tableorder xml package for categories.. so I get best of both worlds.

Thanks
    Amit