Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Basics 101 - WHERE do I change or Modify things at?

USNFC3 is offline Junior Member

Default Basics 101 - WHERE do I change or Modify things at?

Basics 101

In the event there are others out there who have struggled with this as much as I have, I going to offer what LITTLE I know or have discovered so that it may better serve you and that your bald spot does not become as large as mine! Here is what I have been told:

In order to edit much of this [aspdnsf] in a customized way (aside from simply changing the verbiage), you need to know HTML, asp.NET, xml, etc... ((the etc, is what scared me!))

Much of what you do to the skin is in the template.master file. Customization like modifying the top menu colors and such is through CSS and image editing.

Your biggest source of assistance for doing things yourself is going to be the Forum. It has many developers and users like yourself helping each other out with customization.

http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.com/

Otherwise, you can get some information out of the User's Guide, but it is intended for setup of the software out-of-the-box, and Knowledgebase assistance with common issues.

Depending on how much your time is worth, it is often more efficient to hire a developer to do the 'heavy' lifting:

http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com/c...stom-mods.aspx

So you just installed your new ASPDNSF website. Now, if you are like me, you are scratching your head, WHERE DO I GO TO MODIFY THE ITEMS ON THE FRONT PAGE of the Default Page installed…. Try these!

================================================== =

The top line indicates: WHAT You want to MODIFY
    The line directly under it is: WHERE you go, to find the File to modify.

What is called the "Left Nav" Area
    \App_Templates\Skin_x\XmlPackages

Browse Manufactuers

Browse Categories

Browse Depts

Help & Info

News Letter
    \App_Templates\Skin_x\template.master

To modify the Links in the TOP ROW – To the right of the Search Box

Track Your Order

Returns

Shipping Policy

FAQ

Telephone Number

Click here for Live Help

I hope this helps ! (Now you know as much or MORE than I do!) <smile>
    (I am soooo under-qualified to be posting this! - LOL)

Hondo69 is offline Member

I'm like you, basically starting from scratch. Your comments all seem correct for many of the basics. I would add a few notes:

1] When in ADMIN, go to Configuration --> Advanced --> AppConfig Parameters

You'd be surprised what's hidden in there. Use the search box and type in things like:

google
    meta
    free
    dark
    notification
    option
    rtshipping
    address

If you're looking to change something you think a database might handle, look there first.

2] By far my biggest issue to date relates to importing and exporting product data.
    Version ML 8.0.1.4/8.0.1.4