Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Put old database backup into new site?

tuffy is offline Member

Default Put old database backup into new site?

Hey there!

I need to get all of our products over to our development site and I was wondering if there is some way I can get a backup of our current database on there. I've read the manuals article about upgrading to 9.x version, but the new site is not ready to go live and I don't want to mess anything up. I just need the products and such so I can make sure everything shows up correctly.

Thanks a bunch!
    -Kayla

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Hi

If its just a standard database copy then you can create an exact copy of your database from SQL Management Studio.

Under Database right click then tasks and backup. Same procedure but restore on the dev site.

esedirect is offline Senior Member

I'd say it's probably not that easy. Reading between the lines their prod db is v8 and their dev db maybe an old v8 upgraded to v9.

Now they've done all their changes, but want to get a fresh copy of their current prod data into dev to see how it looks.

I could be wrong - I have been before!

Unfortunately SQL Server Management Studio has no "suck and blow" facility for moving data around. Toad for SQL Server is much better at this. However, even with SSMS you could restore your prod db to your dev db server and use SQL statements to replace your data.
    http://www.esedirect.co.uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using MS 9.2.0.0 with the following customisations:

Lightbox/Fancybox enlarged images;
    Auto-suggest searchbox;
    Extra product information shown only to our IP Address (such as supplier info, costs, etc.);
    Failed transactions emailed via trigger;
    Custom app to show basket contents when customer online;
    Orders pushed through to accounting systems.

All the above without source!

deanfp is offline Senior Member

Tell me about it!

When upgrading from 7 to 9 we ended up with a "tribryd" storefront of various files from all three versions.

The migration from 7 to 9 was fairly painless after a few runs (and the correct upgrade scripts!).

Tuffy - What version are you on and what version is your dev site running on?

tuffy is offline Member

Currently V8, dev site V9

tuffy is offline Member

Also, Ese, that's exactly what I want to do.

I just thought of another question..
    I want to change some things in the new website, such as description, extension data, etc. If I did figure out how to upload a backup of the current database and changed that stuff, would I lose it when we're ready to go live and upload the database again?

esedirect is offline Senior Member

You definitely need to know a lot about SQL db programming to do it. And you always have to be aware of what you're doing, ie not deleting data you want and have only got in one place.
    http://www.esedirect.co.uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using MS 9.2.0.0 with the following customisations:

Lightbox/Fancybox enlarged images;
    Auto-suggest searchbox;
    Extra product information shown only to our IP Address (such as supplier info, costs, etc.);
    Failed transactions emailed via trigger;
    Custom app to show basket contents when customer online;
    Orders pushed through to accounting systems.

All the above without source!