Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Display manufacturer in product detail page

Ybq2011 is offline Junior Member

Default Display manufacturer in product detail page

Is it possible to show manufacturer in product page? Do I need to change code or which xml file I can change? I appreciate your help!!!

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Erik is offline Senior Member

Depending on what you mean by "Show Manufacturer", you can either include info in your Product description, or edit the xml package you are using.
    Erik Sutton
    AspDotNetStorefront Technical Support

miguelcrush is offline Senior Member

We've implemented something like this.
    We edited both the SP (aspdnsf_getProducts I believe), and updated the XML package to display a link on the product detail page to the manufacturer's page.
    Mike Steyer
    Information Systems Admin

Thank you for your help, miguelcrush.
    I am a beginner. Could you tell me which xml file and how to add the link in the xml?
    Appreciate!!

Sure.

First, figure out which xml package you are using around your site. You can use the admin site to find this value, should be something like product.variantsinrightbar.xml.config.

Then, open your site directory and browse to the XMLPackages folder. Find the file that you discovered above and open it for editing. Within the fold of the opened file, you should see a xml node set for <query>. Within that set, find the node for <sql>, and you should see a string of text like "EXEC [name of stored procedure]." That stored procedure is the one you will have to edit.

The next step will be to modify the stored procedure to get the manufacturer information when the SP is called. You should know about SQL and stored procedures before continuing. Not understanding the SQL that you are writing can have terrible effects on your website and potential loss of data.

Somewhere in the SP, link the Manufacturer table by joining the product table first by the ProductManufacturer table, and then to the Manufacturer table. Select the MfgID, MfgName and MfgSEName from the table.

Within your XML package, figure out where you want your link/label to go, and create an xslt variable to store your generated link to the manufacturer's page.
    For example:
    Code:
    <xsl:variable name='mfgLink' select="concat('m-',/root/Product/MfgID,'-',/root/Product/MfgSEName)"/>

<html>
    Manufacturer: <a href='{$mfgLink}'><xsl:value-of select="/root/Product/MfgName"/></a>
    </html>
    You should really check out some documentation on XSLT as well. W3 schools has some good articles on them.
    Mike Steyer

Thank you so much, miguelcrush. I found it!! You are great, Another thing bothered me for a while even I post the question, but I havenot got the answer yet. I use ML9. The menudata.xml and vertmenudata.xml can be still used in ML9? I was trying to change left menu, which xml can I change? I saw page.menu.xml.config can change top menu. What I want like this: Home| Faqs| also show in left menu, like
    Home
    Faqs
    Could you tell me how to do that?

I appreciate all your help!!!

We use ML8. I know those xml files are used to create the menu structure for the component art modules. If you don't want to use the component art, I would suggest to just comment out the lines that generate that content and make your own menu structure.

I can't even give you any information on how to modify that as we scrapped the ASPDNSF menus a long time ago in lieu of creating our own navigation. Wish I could help.

Good Luck!
    Mike Steyer

Thank you for quick reply, miguelcrush. My problem is I can only change xml and setting in Amin. Even I seached user guide online. I still could not get details regarding which part using which xml in ML9. You are very nice, thanks again