Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: How to change left nav menu?

Ybq2011 is offline Junior Member

Question How to change left nav menu?

I am just starting to learn storefront. I am trying to change nav menu of main page? Could someone tell me if I have to change code or just do some settings?
    Thank you for your help!!

mlogan is offline Junior Member

I've been trying to do the same thing ... and as far as I have figured out you'll need the source code to change the aspdnsf controls. There are other posts in other forums that mention this.

You can also go back to the rev.categories.xml.config file, or create your own, to change the menu (I'm only changing the categories menu).

This line in the template.master file will make the menu accessible to CSS, but I've run into problems with sub-categories showing up.

<asp:Literal ID="leftNavCat" runat="server" Text="<%$ Tokens:XMLPACKAGE, rev.categories.xml.config%>" />

Not sure if this helps but please record your progress I could use the help also.

Thank you for answer, mlogan. So two ways I can change menu, change code or modify xml.config file, is it right? I have another question. Where can I change main page frame? Thanks again.

Hondo69 is offline Member

Not sure exactly what kind of changes you need to make, but here's some ideas that might help.

Your skin template for the entire page contains a section of code that pertains to the menu. It's like a wrapper for the menu. You can edit or add some code here that can provide space above or below the menu or accomplish similar tasks.

If you want to change its appearance then edit the css.

If you want to change the items that appear within the menu then you have to get into the XML package.

In my case, I didn't want all the menu sections to show up. Instead of Categories, Manufacturers, Departments and Help sections I only wanted some of these. I just went into the template for the skin and eliminated some sections. The html code for the Department section looks like this . . .

<div class="navHeader">
    Browse Departments</div>
    <div class="leftNav" id="departments">
    (!XmlPackage Name="rev.departments"!)
    </div>
    Version ML 8.0.1.4/8.0.1.4

Appreciated your help! Hondo69.
    I use ML9.0. I found this statement in template.master

<aspdnsf:EntityControl ID="ctrlEntityManufacturer" runat="server" Header="<%$ Tokens:StringResource, AppConfig.ManufacturerPromptPlural %>"
    EntityType="Manufacturer" MaxMenuSize="<%$ Tokens:AppConfigUSInt, MaxMenuSize %>

instead of

<div class="navHeader">
    Browse Departments</div>
    <div class="leftNav" id="departments">
    (!XmlPackage Name="rev.departments"!)
    </div>

I tried to add more items like Home in left nav. How can I get it via changing xml file? Which exact xml file do I have to modify?

Thanks in advance!!

Hondo69 is offline Member

All I know about ML9 is that its a lot different that ML8. Looks to me like you'd have to figure out which tokens to use, or create a new token. Sorry, not much help here.
    Version ML 8.0.1.4/8.0.1.4

deanfp is offline Senior Member

There are some great videos that Vortex have done regarding the simple things in ASPDNSF

http://www.youtube.com/user/VortxInc

Left hand nav is covered in some of these short video clips.