Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Use of Variants in Pricing Scheme

chese79 is offline Junior Member

Default Use of Variants in Pricing Scheme

Currently our products are configured with a 10 character SKU(internal sku). The first 5 characters are the style number. The following 3 characters are the color number, and the last two characters are the size code. The combination of all three makes a unique selling unit.

Style Color Size
    XXXX 123 MD

Currently we are not utilizing variants other than having a single variant to hold the product and its combination of colors and sizes, along with the inventory.

We are utilizing the SKUModifier to change the prices on sizes that cost more. We want the ability to put particular combinations of Style, size, and color on sale. Currently the way we are doing it, we can only discount all of a color or all of a size.

1)I am assuming we will have utilize variants to get the pricing flexibility we are looking for, correct? Are there other ways(staying within both best practices and not over customizing anything)

2)Assuming we will need the use of variants, are there best practices in the use of them? Should we use a variants for each combination of style, color and size; just combination of style and color or style and size; or just the discounted product?

Ex-Jesse is offline Member

I recently had this exact situation with a client. The client sells three different products, each with three different colors, and six different sizes.

Instead of creating 54 different variants, I made 9. One variant for each product per color. Then I made the SKU suffix on the variant for the size include the color. "123MD" as your example for the medium.

It's slightly a pain, but it was necessary because you cannot change color and size combination markup based on extended pricing tables. 3-D extended pricing would be nice, but using the nine different products was far easier than coding another dimension to the pricing logic!!! The exact thing holds true for sales: It's on a per variant basis, not three dimensional to include attributes.

This was all a long way of saying "No, you need to add a bunch of variants."