Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: ML 8.0.1.3 Vs ML 9.0

McJoe is offline Member

Default ML 8.0.1.3 Vs ML 9.0

Month ago I downloaded ML 9.0 and now I only can see ML 8.0.1.3 as the latest version. Has there been a change to how the version numbering is done?

What about SP downloads?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Erik is offline Senior Member

Default Editions and versions

We call the different numbers an 'edition', and the various releases under those as 'versions', so ML8 and ML9 are different editions, where 8.0.1.2 and 8.0.1.4 are versions of ML8.

We have not actually changed numbering systems.

Currently there are only two available editions: ML8 and MultiStore. ML8 is currently on version 8.0.1.4 and MultiStore is on version 9.1.0.1. Note that both of these versions have the 64-bit capability automatically integrated, so they both work on either 32-bit or 64-bit without making any changes to the software settings.

Confused yet? When ML9 was first created, it was with the intention of becoming a Multi-Store platform. The single store version soon became just ML which was version 9.0.1.3. The Multi-Store version became known as just that, but is still 9.0.1.3 with full multiple store support. Now, ML and Multi-Store have essentially 'merged' into one platform, MultiStore. This has multiple store capabilities by adding licenses. You can certainly run just one store license to replace your ML, but you now have the ability to add stores if you wish by simply buying more licenses.

What this means to users of ML8 (all varieties) and ML9 (all varieties) is that if you have a ML8.x edition, then you get the upgrade for the current version 8.0.1.4. If you have a license for ML9.x edition then you get the upgrade to the MultiStore 9.1.0.1 version.

These are available in your 'My Licenses' page.
    http://www.aspdotnetstorefront.com/mylicenses.aspx
    Erik Sutton
    AspDotNetStorefront Technical Support

mikemurphy is offline Senior Member

thanks for this - i dont see where to download the upgrade from 8.0.1.2 to 8.0.1.4. i just see the link that i can move to 9.1.0.1

can you advise ?
    8.0.1.4 W2008R2 64-bit MSSQL2005

webopius is offline Senior Member

I agree that this is confusing.

The main issue we are seeing is that potential customers of ASPDNSF who run a single store (the majority) visit your website and think they have to buy v8 to run their business instead of the 'single store' multistore version (basically v9.x with new licensing).

Default 8.0.1.4 download

Mike, post a ticket to Sales and tell them what you're missing. Include your Order Number from the 8012 if you have it, otherwise we need enough info to identify your account.

Sales & Customer Service ticket
    Erik Sutton

chese79 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mikemurphy View Post
    thanks for this - i dont see where to download the upgrade from 8.0.1.2 to 8.0.1.4. i just see the link that i can move to 9.1.0.1

can you advise ?
    Mike,

Have you upgraded yet? We are heading in the same direction and I wanted to see if the transition from 8.0.1.2 to 8.0.4.1 is something that would be measured(in development time) in days, weeks, or months. I thinking and hoping one of the first two options, but have no idea.

Upgrade time can vary dramatically from one site to the next, from one developer to another. Basically it depends on the amount and complexity of the customizations and mods. I have seen a few sites upgraded in a single day, others a few weeks. With the 8012 being unsupported as of 6/9/2011, you basically have a month before running into support service issues.
    Erik Sutton

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

Upgrading your store need not be difficult. I have found it very easy and quick to do with Mercurial.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

mikemurphy is offline Senior Member

hi chese79

i've set up a new installation on a staging subdomain.....i did this

** back up everything - then errr, checked i did actually backed it all up !! **

1) created the subdomain
    2) copied all the new 8.0.1.4 files into the wwwroot and set correct permissions
    3) copied the old images & skins folder to the new sub domain (we dont have any 'download' products)
    4) reset the encrypt & db string in the web.config file
    5) reset the admin folder name to the same as the old one
    6) ran the db upgrade script
    7) played around for about 2 hours to makes sure i could check out etc etc
    8) changed our root domain name to point at the subdomain (it anything went wrong i could easily switch back the the old folder with the previous version files)

All seem ok...took only a few hours including the testing etc. You will have to download a new licence and put it in the images folder - it's already set for http://staging.aspdotnetstorefront.yourstore.com, localhost & your root domain through the licence page at the aspdnsf site.

Hope that helps

While i'm here, can i make a little point to all.....My ONLY ONLY comment (been with aspdnsf for 4/5 years now!! - love u guys !!) - is that other carts are MUCH better at kidology - i.e, the look of the admin is REALLY dated...some time/effort into CSS & layout would provide all the bullshit anyone ever needed to think the cart was world beating !!!!!!! Magento leads on the "PR" front just though presentation of the admin dash - come on Jo & team, get a wiggle on
    8.0.1.4 W2008R2 64-bit MSSQL2005