Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Header Image

discountvolvoparts is offline Junior Member

Thumbs down Header Image

OK let me start by saying I love ASPDNSF but, having said that, it drives me crazy the lack of support for basic editing. There is a lot of information for complex modifications but what about the guy/gal who just wants to get the store up and running and do basic modifications to the home page?

I have version ML 9 and I want to add a header image. Can anyone help?

What file holds the image? What html do I need to include in the template.ascx file? Is that the correct file? How do I rearrange the left menu to move the newsletter sign up to the top?

Thanks, LT

PS If I missed something in the help manual please let me know. The secuirty checklist is great but how about a basic get started list that tells us new people basic homepage set up.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Nicole is offline Administrator

Hi LT,

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. We are actively working on our instructional material to make things like this a bit easier for folks that aren't experienced AspDotNetStorefront developers. We have just recently put up this page which you might find helpful: http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...-tutorial.aspx

It looks like you have a custom skin, so we won't be able to easily tell you how to update it. The videos on that manual page will show you the structure of the skin as it is out of the box, which should help you get an idea of where the files are that you'll need to update.

If you go through the videos and other information on that page, it should explain how to get started modifying your skin, what files to look for, how to make simple updates, etc.

There are some other things you can do to try and find out on your own as well - browse your site in Firefox, then right click on the image you want to update (right click in the header), then select 'View Background Image'. It will open up the image in your browser, and if you look in the address bar, you can see where that image lives. In you case, the image is stored in the skins/Skin_1/CustomImages folder. So you can go to that folder and change the image out to adjust the header.

If after watching the videos and reading through that material you're still not sure how to make changes, you can always reach out to one of our Development partners for help - they have a wealth of experience customizing our software and will be able to help you through all kinds of changes to your site, large and small.

deanfp is offline Senior Member

One addition I would add that if you use FireFox there is a really useful addon called Firebug that allows you to change and view changes to html or css pages without them changing on your site

Here is the link

http://getfirebug.com/

Some developers will charge little for a simple custom theme change and its probably worth contacting those here for some quotes.