Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: writing an insert statement to import customers

sam.bengtson is offline Member

Default writing an insert statement to import customers

I know that I can use that WSI thing but I already know Sql so im trying to write a huge insert query(with the help of a little java) to add customers to our database. I'm having trouble getting the identity insert turned on in the customer table. Does anybody see anything wrong with this query I run, It is giving an error message of
    An explicit value for the identity column in table 'storefront.dbo.Customer' can only be specified when a column list is used and IDENTITY_INSERT is ON.
    Here is a test query that failed:
    SET IDENTITY_INSERT storefront.dbo.Customer ON
    insert into storefront.dbo.Customer values
    (58640,'',0,{fn now()},'test@test.com','test@test.com',null,NULL,N ULL,'Admin','User','',1,'',NULL,0,NULL,NULL,1,3,0, NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL,'en-US',0.00,1,NULL,1,2,NULL,1,1,NULL,1,1,1,NULL,NULL, 0,{fn now()},1,NULL,2,'',1,1,{fn now()},1,{fn now()},1,{fn now()},1,1,NULL,NULL)

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you tried specifying a column list & setting IDENTITY_INSERT to 'ON'?

TTFN

BFG

wunderkinder is offline Member

Try adding GO after the first line.

SET IDENTITY_INSERT storefront.dbo.Customer ON
    GO
    insert into storefront.dbo.Customer values

sam.bengtson is offline Member

got it. For whatever reason with the way the database is set up, you have to name the columns that your inserting into.
    ex. insert into (databasename).dbo.customer (email, password)
    values(email,password)