Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Don't want Free Shipping on foreign Orders

jag64551 is offline Member

Default Don't want Free Shipping on foreign Orders

So, we have an incentive in place right now - Free shipping on any order over $50.00. The problem is that the special is applied to any customer, in any country. We can't ship items to forieng customers for free. Is there a way to make sure only US customers receive this special?

Thanks

The way we are doing this is with the FreeShippingThreshold AppConfig.

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

This is default behaviour - can you post info about how exactly you have shipping configured & all relevant appconfigs?

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

Did you set you Free Shipping Method ID appconfig to only have the ID of a domestic shipping method? If you only have a domestic shipping method specified in the appconfig, RTShipping should only give free if it surpasses your Free Shipping Threshold appconfig and the Shipping Method is the one specified in the Free Shipping Method ID.
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)

I did not know that was an option. I will give it a shot. Thanks!

Ok, I tried it. We have our FreeShippingThreshold set to $50.00. In the FreeShippingMethodID box I entered UPS and USPS domestic IDs from the Shipping Methods page. I went to check out with a Canadian address, and still got the "This order qualifies for free shipping" message. Any thoughts?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

The appconfig: FreeShippingThreshold is designed to apply on all orders regardless of what country/state the customer is on. It would take custom changes to restrict it to certain ship-to address.

Ok, so to confirm, it does not work in tandem with the ShippingMethodIDIfFreeShippingIsOn appconfig as was previously stated?

If we used a coupon code that included Free Shipping would that work with the ShippingMethodIDIfFreeShippingIsOn appconfig, and only allow free shipping for those shipping methods? Instead of using the free shipping threshold. Just trying to figure out how to not offer free shipping to foriegn customers. If anybody has any ideas, let me know. I can't imagine we are the first to do this.

seasonalsin is offline Senior Member

You have to set ShippingMethodIDIfFreeShippingIsOn appconfig to a method that only offers domestic shipping. Example UPS Ground. This value is the ID and a numeric value. If you are using RT shipping (which you stated you are) you need to go to Shipping>>Shipping Methods and find the ID of the shipping method you want to use for free shipping. I use UPS Ground and it works great.
    Shawn

http://www.FirstChoiceMarine.com

Currently 7.1 moving to MS9.3

I have set ShippingMethodIDIfFreeShippingIsOn to all of the domestic shipping method IDs that we use (rather than just UPS Ground - we use UPS and USPS). Is that not how I should do it?

And I'm still wondering if this even works with the FreeShippingTreshold option or not. That's how we currently have it setup, and it's not working.

If not FreeShippingThreshold, then what is the better way to do it? Thanks

Upscale_Automotive is offline Senior Member

FreeShippingAllowsRateSelection must be set to TRUE for this to work. Do that and mess around with the allowed/restricted options. You should be able to come up with a system that works between enabling certain (domestic) methods for free shipping and adding additional methods for international use.

Also, use the RTShipping Domestic Carrier and the RTShipping International Carrier AppConfig Options to your advantage here. For example if you want to use FedEx Ground and want to offer it as free shipping in the USA but not Canada, then FedEx would be in the Domestic Carrier appconfig and FedEx Ground would be in the Free Shipping Method appconfig, it would NOT be in the International Carrier appconfig. However, for this to do anything, there must be SOME carrier in the International Carrier appconfig such as USPS.

Hope this makes sense!

Also, in case you are looking to prevent HI and AK from getting free shipping, you can use UPS Three Day Select as your Free Shipping method. It only applies to the lower 48 IIRC. You can then use ground as a regular method. Only drawback is ground will appear as an option alongside free when a lower 48 customer checks out.