Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Suggestion Needed

harsha.gus is offline Senior Member

Exclamation Suggestion Needed

Hi,

I hope someone can give me a suggestion for my situation.

I have a Product it's dimensions are 1/2" x 24" x 100' and weight is 5lbs

But it's shipping Package Dimension is 24.00 x 19.00 x 19.00 and weight is same 5lbs

• If i enter actual dimensions in variant fields UPS calculates wrong shipping rates.
    • If i enter Shipping dimensions in variant Fields, customer will have wrong information about product.

Can any one suggest how can i have product dimensions and Shipping Package dimensions different.

thanks for your time.
    rbgx
    AspDotNetStorefront ML
    v8.0.1.4

dayhawk is offline Member

I would leave the actual weight and dimensions as they are in their ProductVariant fields. UPS/UPS2 will use the weight to calculate rates.

Instead, product dimensions could live in ExtensionData as an XML node. There have been several discussions here in the forums about using well-formed XML data in ExtensionData field.

At the dimensions you mention, 24 x 19 x 19, the product will likely be subject to dimensional weight. The total square inches equal 8,664. That volume is currently divided by 194 to yield 45 lbs. in dimensional weight. I understand that is what UPS charges. I am currently experimenting with dimensional weight to get a more accurate rate from UPS through ASPDNSF.

ASPDNSF appears to ignore dimensions or the number of boxes at the moment. So the closest tool would be dimensional weight--only when larger than the actual weight.

The divisor for UPS will change to 166 from 194 on January 3, 2011. Dimensional weight will increase as a result, and the threshold for dimensional billing will come down for shipments to Canada.
    MSx 9.2, SQL Server 2005, Windows 2008 R2 Web 64-Bit

harsha.gus is offline Senior Member

Exclamation

Hi dayhawk,

I was wondering, if we can give a shipping Package Dimension to UPS instead of product Dimensions, because product dimension varies with the shipping package Dimensions.

thanks
    rbgx
    AspDotNetStorefront ML
    v8.0.1.4