Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Need to add 200,000 products - Please advise

HomeIndoor is offline Member

Exclamation Need to add 200,000 products - Please advise

We need to update our site with an additional 200,000 products.
    I know due to past experience that the excel import that not work that well, when hitting this type of count. I think the limitations were around 1500 lines at a time.

So other than doing a update via SQL, are their any additional option available.
    If you are able to set up this product import for us, we will gladly pay you for your time and services.

Also we tried using ASPDNSF Commander by Simrun, but not sure if this actually works as it says via WSI

All services are welcomed.

Thanks in Advance

mmcgeachy is offline Senior Member

Excel import will work much on a larger amount than 1500 rows it is just a matter of setting the ImportMaxRowsExcel appconfig to however many rows you want. The default amount of rows is only 10,000 rows.

The two biggest issues of importing high amounts of products is it takes more memory to do so and can take quite a while to process. Taking longer to process can cause the import page to show as timing out to the browser even if the process is still running.

To combat how much memory is used try importing in smaller chunks of 20000-30000 products if possible. As for the timeout issue the best solution I can think of would be to modify the import code to email when the import is done for anything over 10,000 products.

I can't speak for importing this amount from WSI due not using WSI to do product imports.

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

WSI works great and is very capable of importing and at the same time assigning to manufacturers and categories. I've never used the Excel import, but I use WSI frequently for syncing data between two databases (our real one and the ASPDNSF one for the store).
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

HomeIndoor is offline Member

Talking Wsi

I spent an hour on the phone yesterday with SimRun. They are the company that created ASPDNSF Commander for use on WSI. I personally have not been a fan of WSI for as long as I have been using ASPDNSF. I just always found it to difficult unless you knew how to use XML commands. I am sure their are other people out there that mainly just depend on the excel import option.

I can honestly say this tool is great to use. WSI is the ideal way to import and export data from the store front.

If anybody out there is unsure of WSI, get this tool and get the support option, which is not really needed, but it clears up many questions.

At the end of the day, the only safe way to move vast data in my opinion is via WSI.

thank you everybody who helped me out.