Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: development site

HomeIndoor is offline Member

Lightbulb development site

We are in the process of making some changes with our site. So instead of making the changes on the live site, we copied over the wwwroot folder and put in a sub folder. We also duplicated our database as well.

The problem we are running into is that when we go to the development site, which we have set up as

dev.xxxxxx.com, we still get directed to the main site

All setting in IIS are pointing to the development folder.

What are we doing wrong in this situation?
    All advice is welcomed.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Is this ML, or ML/DNN? Are you being redirected immediately, or once you click a link on the landing page?

Default development site

This is the ML version.
    So originally the directory was located outside of the root folder. As a last ditch effort, we have not moved the directory within the root folder.

Now I am getting the following error

Line 196: <customErrors mode="on"/>
    Line 197: <!-- AUTHENTICATION: Sets the authentication policies of the application. Possible modes are "Windows", "Forms", "Passport" and "None" -->
    Line 198: <authentication mode="Forms">
    Line 199: <forms name="ASPDNSFGUID" loginUrl="SignIn.aspx" timeout="525600"/>
    Line 200: </authentication>

All I want to do is setup a staging site, so that I can make changes on the staging site, before putting it on the live site. I I found the guide regarding setting up authentication to form and this has all been setup, so not sure why I am getting the above error.

thanks for the input.

Default development site

So we have resolved the issue with the error code. The site just redirected immediately.

My server company is at a lost and so am I.

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

It's not a combination of your LiveServer & RedirectLiveToWWW apconfigs on your dev site is it?

TTFN

BFG

Question development site

BFG - I checked both of these settings LiveServer is set to the sub domain.
    In regards to the RedirectLiveToWWW i tried both true and false and still get the same results.

If I enter incorrect connection string for the database, and type in the subdomain, I get a connection string error, so if enter the correct database connection string, the site simply forwards itself to the main site.

So this is telling me IIS settings are correct. Something in the development site, keep redirecting to the main site.

The only other issue, I can think of is maybe changing the license file to reflect the sub domain address. But this was never a issue a few months ago.

All suggestions are welcomed.

deanfp is offline Senior Member

When launching a dev site I never use anything related to the live url. I always use an internal server ip address such as http://191.00.44.55/default.aspx

Make sure the robots.txt file is not crawling this site. Works for me perfectly but of course any urls pointing to the main site will still direct to the live homepage.

chese79 is offline Junior Member

Try turning off SSL. In addition to the below setting changes. Hopefully you are not still without resolution to this issue.

DotNetDevelopments is offline Senior Member

my dev site

http://dev.deva-notherwebsite.co.uk/admin/signin.aspx

keeps redirecting to the live admin

https://www.a-notherwebsite.co.uk/admin/signin.aspx

I have checked the AppConfig table in the DevDB and UseSSL is set to false, RedirectLiveToWWW is set to false and LiveServer is set to dev.deva-notherwebsite.co.uk

Any ideas please?
    =====
    Version (Code/DB): AspDotNetStorefront MSx 9.1.0.1/9.1.0.0
    Execution Mode: 64 Bit
    Dot Net Developments - E-commerce By Experience

Skriver is offline Senior Member

For your dev site what are the settings under

Configuration>Store Maintenence>Domains?

DotNetDevelopments is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skriver View Post
    For your dev site what are the settings under

Configuration>Store Maintenence>Domains?
    God knows... can't get into it, it keeps re-directing!
    =====
    Version (Code/DB): AspDotNetStorefront MSx 9.1.0.1/9.1.0.0
    Execution Mode: 64 Bit
    Dot Net Developments - E-commerce By Experience

PowerProducts is offline Member

Why are solutions never posted in these forums!!
    I cant understand why someone has not found a solution to this. I am in the same boat. I have built my dev site multiple times, usually it is just an issue with the production url set as the main url. Anyways, this is not resolving it. I have already tried both ideas that were mentioned. Redirect www and setting the live url. Please someone upload their fix. After 4 months, someone must of figured it out.
    Currently running 9.3 Multistore on 5 sites.

PowerProducts is offline Member

Update: I got it fixed! 3 things you should try if you run into this issue
    1. Set the folowing to false. You might need to do it in the sql database. They are under the appconfig table
    UseSSL
    RedirectLiveToWWW

2. Change your production domain to dev.aspdotnetstorefront."yourdomain".com. This is in the Sites table.

3. Restart the server. I tried to simply restart IIS, but this did not work. Recommended after hours when you wont loose sales.

This seems to be a problem when you clone your database and information. Everything is used to be directing to your live.

I hope this helps someone in the future.
    Currently running 9.3 Multistore on 5 sites.