Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: EMailProduct.aspx 302 Temporary Redirect SEO issue affects every product

cengen is offline Member

Default EMailProduct.aspx 302 Temporary Redirect SEO issue affects every product

My site is being told by a SEO tool from SEOMOZ.org that I have a large number (every product I have) of 302 temporary redirects and that they should be 301 permanent redirects instead.

The "email this product to a friend" link on every product page points to the EMailproduct.aspx which redirects to the t-emailerror.aspx page.

I am not sure what I need to do to fix this issue.

Here is a clue I think:

I am running ML 9.0.1.3. I have noticed that all of the warnings are from the page:
    EMailproduct.aspx with a query string of ?productid=[eachproductid].

Calling the page from:
    [http://www.yourwebsitename.com]/EMai...spx?productid=[ProductIdNumber]

redirects to:
    [www.yourwebsitename.com]/t-emailerror.aspx

however if the page is called this way from the localmachine
    localmachine/EMailproduct.aspx?productid=[productidnumber]

It displays properly with the product image and all the various email fields.

Another potential clue?:

the t-emailerror.aspx page text has:
    This page could not be shown, if you are using a personal firewall, it may be interfering with the internal security checks of AspDotNetStorefront, to prevent attacks. This should not occur on the production site, when properly configured and setup.

I am not sure if this is relevant to the issue, or just 'standard text'.

I have noticed that in the robots.txt file, there is an entry to exclude lower case /emailproduct.aspx but NOT /EMailproduct.aspx

I do not understand why the first two letters are uppercase, but have noticed the 9.0.1.3 version of emailproduct.aspx

has this code:

<%@ Page Language="c#" Inherits="AspDotNetStorefront.EMailproduct" CodeFile="EMailproduct.aspx.cs" MasterPageFile="~/App_Templates/Skin_1/template.master" %>
    <%@ Reference Control="~/Controls/EmailProduct.ascx" %>
    <%@ Reference Control="~/Controls/MobileEmailProduct.ascx" %>

(And for reference -the 8.0.1.2 version of emailproduct.aspx

has this code:
    <%@ Page Language="c#" Inherits="AspDotNetStorefront.EMailproduct" CodeFile="EMailproduct.aspx.cs" %>)

I am running ML 9.0.1.3.

I don't know where to start or what to do. Any ideas brilliant people?

Thank you

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Do you know at which point in the front end you get redirected to yoursite.com/emailproduct.aspx?productid={producid} in the first place? If not, see below:

Name:  emailprodut.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  37.8 KB

t-EmailError.aspx is a topic page, which is defined in Contents -> Manage topics. You'll get redirected to that page whenever the line below is true. This is the check from emailproduct.aspx.cs to prevent DOS attack.

Code:
    if (AppLogic.OnLiveServer() && (Request.UrlReferrer == null || Request.UrlReferrer.Authority != Request.Url.Authority))
    {
            Response.Redirect(SE.MakeDriverLink("EmailError")); 
    }
    e.g.
    http://www.yoursite.com/product/74/c...bag-chair.aspx - this is the urlReferrer.
    UrlReferrer.Authority = yoursite.com

UrlReferrer will only work with requests that load in the same or another browser window invoked via a hyperlink. No UrlReferrer object is returned when loading pages into a window using client-side scripting methods.

cengen is offline Member

Thanks Alfred....

Apparently the errors are being generated by the SEO analysis tool using client side redirection somehow, which is getting trapped by the line you mention to prevent Denial Of Service attacks.

I am not sure how I can fix the issue, but at the heart of it, the SEO tool is trying to preserve 'link juice' for the search engine rankings. In this case I do not think this page is important for search engines at all.

Can you tell me why in older versions of the robots.txt file, the file is listed to exclude from the search engine spiders, as all lower case, ie emaliproduct.aspx. The emailproduct.aspx and corresponding emailproduct.aspx.cs file have include statements that have:

<%@ Page Language="c#" Inherits="AspDotNetStorefront.EMailproduct" CodeFile="EMailproduct.aspx.cs" MasterPageFile="~/App_Templates/Skin_1/template.master" %>
    <%@ Reference Control="~/Controls/EmailProduct.ascx" %>

Why are the first two letters uppercase (ie, EM) and what affect does that have. I would like the robots.txt file to tell the SEO tool to ignore and not spider the link.

All this is a little over my head. Hopefully you can explain the reason and results of the capital letters 'EM'.

Thanks for your help!!