Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Limit admin users to only be able to edit products in their department

wunderkinder is offline Member

Default Limit admin users to only be able to edit products in their department

My client has several departments in their company. They want each department head to be able to edit products in their department, but not be able to edit products in other departments. Is there a way to specify security by user and entity? I suppose the same logic could apply to Distributors, Manufacturers, etc...

wunderkinder is offline Member

I wonder why threads like this just sit there unanswered? I was under the impression that employees of ASPDNSF read and reply to questions, but perhaps I am mistaken.

Timmey is offline Junior Member

Well a way you could handle it would be rewriting the admin section

The easiest would be to add some tiny code snippet in the adminmasterpage located: ~/App_Templates/Admin_Default/AdminMaster.master

1. PageLoads
    2. Ask if the user is the user is allowed to edit in this section or group whatever you like.
    3Y. if so do nothing
    3N. if not, hide the panel and show some message a la "Access denied"

You could set up an XML File or just use the AppConf Logic from ASPDNSF!

Timmey

Richnyc30 is offline Senior Member

Default Common Processing

Multi-store assumes you have the same staff for all the websites: only one admin!

The top menus in Admin can be changed by user.

A mod is around for looking at the orders from one store at a time.

We like this setup as we have very similar sites with orders being fulfilled by our common warehouse operation. That's the paradym.

Timmey is offline Junior Member

It makes sense to have different Department Managers.

We were in need to break down a CMS and limit every User to special Category.
    This is also like its handled in Sharepoint.

E.g. You have a Department for Baseball and Basketball, the Basketball Department should not be able to Baseball one and way back.

Its sometimes weird why and why not "and sometimes its just policy"