Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Quantity restriction Drop-down Question

sha87 is offline Member

Default Quantity restriction Drop-down Question

I'm configuring and creating some test products for my store. I'm currently using ML 9.0.1.3. My store deals in selling products in bulk (anywhere from 1,000 to 200,000 units) and I'm having a problem when trying to set the pricing. I found the option to restrict the quantity they purchased to certain amounts, but I cannot find a way to set the displayed price for that quantity.

For example: Product A's price is $50 per 1000 units. I can restrict the quantity to multiples of 1000, but if I set the price of the product to be $50, it multiplies the quantity by the price. Is there a way to have the quantity drop-down say "1000 units for $50, 2500 units for $125" etc. and correctly add that amount to their cart with the specified total cost? I realize I can set the default variant's price to be $.05 each and it will calculate the correct total, but I'd like the customer to see the total price of that many units BEFORE adding to the cart.

The one solution I see to this is creating a variant for each quantity. The names of the variants would be the "1000 units for $50" etc. This would allow me to set their prices so that the customer can see the full price in the drop down. However, having to create 5-10 variants or more for each product seems like a large hassle.

Is there an easier way to do this? Thank you!!

Edit: Just to clarify, my ideal situation would be a drop-down menu that says "1000 units - $50", "2000 units - $100", "5000 units - $250" and so forth. The quantity restriction option lets me very quickly create the drop down, but not set the price in 1000 unit intervals. Making 10 variants for each product (I aim to have over 200 products) just to differ the quantity seems like more work than is necessary.
    Last edited by sha87; 10-13-2010 at 08:10 PM.

sha87 is offline Member

Any thoughts on this? I'm also going to run into inventory tracking issues if I go with using the variants to create my desired drop down (because even though the variant names are in the style of "2500 units" the system would only deduct 1 from inventory).

sha87 is offline Member

Still haven't found a solution to this. I tried going with setting the price at the individual level instead of intervals, but storefront is rounding the price to 2 decimal places - it's making .03875 appear as .04 to the customer. Can't find a way around this!

Pmills is offline Junior Member

We had the same issue, we ended up creating a variant for each pricing qty with its own price. although we were able to do a lot of our older products by importing data from our old site database.

sha87 is offline Member

Yes, that's what I ended up doing as well. It was / is a pain to update hundreds of products with 4-6 variants each and having to set the price and weight for each variant seperately, not to mention the hassle of doing extended pricing. It takes me quite some time just to update 1 product. But, it appears to be the only way to display products like this, so i'll have to make do