Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Server Specs

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Default Server Specs

Looking at the specs below, what would make the biggest difference in speed.

1. Add 4 GB more ram
    2. Increase Uplink

I have two sites running on this server and am just not happy with performance. Looking to upgrade.

DB is on this server as well.

Processor: Single Processor Quad Core Xeon 3220 - 2.40GHz (Kentsfield)=- 2 x 4MB cache
    Memory: 4 GB DDR2 667
    RAID: RAID 1
    Hard Drive=1: 250 GB SATA II
    Hard Drive 2: 250 GB SATA II
    Uplink: 100 Mbps Public=& Private Networks
    Bandwidth: 2000 GB Bandwidth
    IP Addresses: 8 IP=Addresses
    Operating System: Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition (64bit)=

Ben-LynxSI is offline Member

Are you certain your OS is "Standard" edition and not "Web" edition?

You may have a bunch of extra services running on it that don't need to be running. (Services designed for running a domain service that governs a network of desktop computers) You can check your server config and remove unnecessary "server roles"/snap-ins/etc.

With the DB on the server, 100% for sure the ram will pay off more.

To max out a 100Mbit connection you'd likely have to have 1000 visitors an hour or a ridiculously inefficent webdesign with huge graphics, videos, audio and numerous http requests per page.

Run your site through this tool: http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/
    It will help you diagnose potential page level problems (like the number of http requests required to load your page) and recommend areas to improve. Test your homepage, a busy category page and a popular product page.

Often times more than half of the perceived delay in a website load is not actually "server processing", but rather network delays and rendering delays. I could expand on this for pages, but will leave it here for you to investigate. Please ask more if one of these ideas seems to bring out a new issue.

Best Regards,
    Ben Swayne - C#/ASP.net/jQuery/Ajax/SEO
    Lynx System Integrators Ltd.
    Lynx Live Agent - real-time analytics, live chat and sales software for ASPDotNetStorefront
    My Personal Website

fooster is offline Member

Sounds like a Server Intellect Dedi

I have the same spec (web edition tho) and haven't noticed any issues- I assume that your DB is not SqlExpress but Sql Server?

More ram could'nt hurt assuming you have a 64 bit version of Sql installed. I assume thats whats using the most ram on your machine?

Have you profiled your sites using yslow for any rogue content being delivered by your sites.

The other thing to check if you are experiencing a considerable slow down is any rogue services operating on your server that might be eating your bandwidth- I once had a server that had been hacked and was being run as a torrent server- bandwidth and disk space decreasing daily- not much fun to fix.

Ben

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the tips.

It is indeed a server intellect dedi.

Let me make sure im clear, im not unhappy by any means. It certainly is not "slow" im just looking to boost performance.

One thing of note, I forgot when I posted these specs that I did switch to 2003

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2 with R2=(64 bit)

Don't remember exactly why at this point, it was something they suggested.

Im going to run some of these profile tools to see if I can find anything that can be improved on. I also will probably add some more ram just to see how it goes with that too.