Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: New 64 bit Server

IronDonut is offline Member

Default New 64 bit Server

Hi everyone,

We're racking up a new Windows 2008 64bit server. We're not really ready to upgrade from 32 bit storefront to 64 bit storefront.

Can we get by for the next 6 months running the 32 bit version of storefront on the 64bit OS?

Any tricks? problems? anything we need to look out for?

Thank you.

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

32 bit will run fine on 64 bit OS. Ive been running this way for a while now.

Ben-LynxSI is offline Member

Thumbs up

IronDonut:

In the IIS Manager, go to your application pool for the storefront, goto Advanced Settings, select "Enable 32-bit Applications" and set to true. This will set this site into an explicit 32-bit mode.

Many webmasters (not ASPDNSF specific but just 32 vs 64 bit window hosting in general) even claim greater stability in 32-bit mode. All you will be doing is limiting the useable memory space for this application pool to somewhere around 3gb. (Still lots).

Unless you are loading something like 8gb+ of ram into your server, you won't see any loss/benefit between 32-bit and 64-bit application pools (assuming other stuff is on the same physical server like other websites or SQL Server, each of which will have their own memory space allocated).

I too run a Windows 2008 r2 64-bit server with 4gb ram and ASPDNSF 32-bit. Runs beautifully!
    Ben Swayne - C#/ASP.net/jQuery/Ajax/SEO
    Lynx System Integrators Ltd.
    Lynx Live Agent - real-time analytics, live chat and sales software for ASPDotNetStorefront
    My Personal Website

IronDonut is offline Member

Default Thank You

Thanks for the advice. I'm running a 64bit Windows 7 dev box and running ASPDNSF well. I figured it would run just as well on the 64 bit server OS but I wanted to check with someone that has done it first.

We're getting the server with 8GB of RAM and we'll be deploying more than one site to the server. So no probs on the app pool only being able to address 4gb.