Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Setting up VS2008

pwb is offline Member

Default Setting up VS2008

Hi, is there som documentation to setup IIS and VS2008 to use with the sourcecode? I have tried it on Windows 7 (IIS 7) and XP (IIS 6) but i cant get the default.aspx or template.master to work in design mode. I have enabled parent path and that did helt a litle, but the design still dont show.

/PWB

philipb is offline Junior Member

PWB,

Depending on your environment, the IIS setup is pretty standard. I am using Windows Server 2008 with IIS & all I needed to do with the new site was to point it at the correct folder in ADNSF & start it up.

For a dev / staging server, all you need to do is create a new site within the Management Console & point it to the /Web folder withing the ADNSF site structure & you should be good to go (I have developed the habit of creating new sites for any website / web app I implement, but you can use the default if you want).

For Visual Studio, you will want to open the solution & set the "/Web" folder as the Start Up Project (just right-click on it & choose "Set As StartUp Project". When you run the site (using F5), this will tell Cassini to open the website.

When you say that you "cant get the default.aspx or template.master to work in design mode" are you referring to what you see in VS when you try to look at them in the Design view? If so, then I had the same issue. I attributed it to the fact that so much of the master & default pages are dynamically driven & the designer doesn't have the ability to or know how to render the content.

When I was first working on the look & feel customization for my site, I had to run the project in Cassini (but not in debug mode) & then tweak the styles while hitting F5 in my browser.

Be advised, the shopping cart side of ADNSF is a "website", not a Web Application, so some things that you might be accustomed to doing (right-click & "Go To Definition" on classes, for example) will not work.

I was initially planning on converting the website to a web application, but due to time constraints from the business, I have had to "back burner" that (though I am still planning on doing it at some point down the line).

Hope this helps!

Phil

pwb is offline Member

in the skin convert document its seems like the default.aspx and master page show correct in design mode in VS, so i think its possible, but i dont now exactly how to set it up correct. Everything else work correct, i can compile and everything, its only the design of defalt and masterpage i cant get to show correct in design mode.