Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Seriously Annoying

toofast is offline Senior Member

Default Seriously Annoying

Is there a way to search this forum using AND. if i search the phrase "database help" i get every post that contains the word "help". no clue why a search would function like that and i know this isn't ADNSF fault, but if the search could be modified to be an AND search that would be extremely helpful.

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

database help is pretty generic, but i've found the best way to search these forums is using google.

go to google and enter this

database help site:forums.aspdotnetstorefront.com

toofast is offline Senior Member

i hear ya, but google doesn't index all the forum pages especially might take time for google to index new forum pages.

the "database help" was just an example, i know that is generic.

StokesWebDevelopment is offline Junior Member

I couldn't agree more. I have been using Google as well but a REAL "Advanced Search" page is what is needed. One that will let you search with "AND" "OR" etc.
    Randall Moore | Web Developer
    Stokes Web Development
    www.stokesweb.com

jo@vortx.com is offline Administrator

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. (whispers .... I'm not sure I like vbulletin as a forum tool, but there is such a wealth of data in here and I can't see that I can "take it away"). So I went looking and it appears as though vbulletin 4.0 suite has vastly improved search so I am asking Kelly (Kelly ... are you awake? HELP...) to go and find out if we can upgrade without losing any of our threads. Fingers crossed we can improve the mechanism. Kelly will share with the whole community what she finds out, and we will probably blog about the experience of the upgrade, if it comes to pass. Fingers crossed, people.
    Jo Benson
    COO
    Vortx / AspDotNetStorefront

Vegarari is offline Member

I have been doing what ssgumby has - using Google advanced. That is about the only way I search this forum anymore.

Kelsx is offline Junior Member

Default Forum Upgrade

It looks like an upgrade to the latest version of vbulletin, which has the advance search feature, is feasible without causing us to lose any of the valuable data already held on this forum. We are taking the next steps to upgrade and will be testing the upgrade in a staging environment in the coming weeks.

Sequencing is offline Junior Member

Great tip on using Google to search. vBulletin is notoriously bad for searching and I'd love to see a new forum platform here; but do realize it would be tough to migrate the data.

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

I set up a custom search engine for just this problem :-

http://www.google.com/custom?cx=0023...tabase+%2Bhelp

You'll see on the results page that + symbols tell google that the term MUST be present.

TTFN

BFG