Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Variants and SKUs - Rules of Thumb?

Storganizer is offline Junior Member

Default Variants and SKUs - Rules of Thumb?

Hi:

I'm just starting an online retail clothing store and using the opportunity to organize my inventory and display. As I understand it, a variant is like a SKU - a unique Stock Keeping Unit that is tracked in inventory? - at least I think.

Are there any rules of thumb about what constitutes a variant? For example, let's say that I have a T-Shirt that comes in multiple sizes and red, green, and black. Am I better to have one product - T-Shirt that has two dropdown boxes for size and colour or better to have a T-Shirt Product that comes in 3 variants - red, green, black.
    What should be the rationale for choosing one over the other?

Any help appreciated!

ZachJ85 is offline Senior Member

If you offered one type of shirt that came in those three colors and sizes you could create one product called "T-shirts" and create two kit items that would set the size and color.
    SQL 2008, Visual Studio 2010
    Source: C#
    Version: AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.1/8.0.1.1
    Framework: .Net 4.0 (Running)

DotNetDevelopments is offline Senior Member

We sell heating items mainly and this is how we deal with it.

First if it is a multi variant item the root product does not have any SKU or MPN. We then create variants for each product inside this "range".

A prime example for us is our heaters that have three different factors. You select the output, the colour and the control. All of this is under one product.

With t-shirts I would create one product (i.e. wolf shirt) and then 9 variants. These variants would be small-white, small-yellow, small-black, medium-white etc...

You will need to customise your product xml to have two drop down boxes but it means you can track stock very easily. Also each variant can have a SKU, so small-white is SWWS and small-yellow is SMWS etc..

We find this works best and is the most flexible approach to any items that can be grouped by a common theme, in your case I would suggest shirt design as the colours and sizes change but the design does not.

Hope that helps! Looking forward to seeing your store.
    =====
    Version (Code/DB): AspDotNetStorefront MSx 9.1.0.1/9.1.0.0
    Execution Mode: 64 Bit
    Dot Net Developments - E-commerce By Experience

Thanks for this e-TradeCounter - what you say makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,
    Roger

Default Thanks

Thanks for your help - posted this a few days ago - but it doesn't show up.

Cheers,
    Roger