Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Upgrade Help

Tom Cox is offline Senior Member

Default Upgrade Help

We have 15 aspdnsf licenses and we've been stuck on version 7.0.1 because of some changes that were made for us in the past.

I plan to upgrade all the sites to the latest version early next year if possible. I have some time now during the summer to begin looking at what will be needed to convert our sites.

Can anyone tell me if there is upgrade documentation for a migration like this? A step by step guide would be really helpful.

Thanks,
    Tom

allstar is offline Member

Link to the manual upgrading to version 9.x:
    http://manual.aspdotnetstorefront.co...x-version.aspx

Link to 9x upgrade updates:
    http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...ad.php?t=21717

I plan on doing the upgrade to 9x later this year. However, according to the thread below, it maybe somewhat of a challenge.
    http://forums.aspdotnetstorefront.co...t=testing+%240
    Last edited by allstar; 08-10-2010 at 03:36 PM.
    ...AllStar

Thank you. I'll check out those links.

I think my upgrade will be challenging because before I arrived here the company paid a programmer to make some changes which are not documented and the programmer is no longer available. I'm hoping to get a test copy of v9 to work with over the next few months so I'll be ready for a major upgrade on all sites early next year.

Tom

allstar is offline Member

Migrating the customization is the hardest part from my experience, going from 7x to 8x. Documentation is key. ASPDNSF does a great job with step by step on how to updgrade. Good luck and enjoy.
    ...AllStar

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Nicole is offline Administrator

Upgrading without documentation of customizations is definitely not impossible, but can be a pain. I would recommend getting a copy of Winmerge and a fresh copy of the version you're upgrading from, you should be able to get the uncustomized code for your version in your aspdotnetstorefront.com account under view/manage licenses.

Using Winmerge, you can run a comparison on all files with an out of the box copy on one side, and your customized copy on the other side. That will highlight all of the custom code within your site, even if your programmer didn't document the changes, then you can copy and paste the changes over into your new version.

AspDotNetStorefront does make upgrades pretty easy, all of the database scripts are set up for you, if you follow the documentation the trickiest part will just be merging your customizations in to the new codebase. 7.x to 8.x is a big jump, but one of the easiest upgrades in my opinion. It might be easier to go from 7.x to 8.x first, allow the system to stabilize on the 8.x platform before jumping to 9.x.

Good luck!

Great thanks for the responses. It's good to know the ASPDNSF documentation will be helpful. Also the suggestion to use winmerge to find changes is a good idea. I've done something similar recently in trying to find an error that appeared on a single site and it worked out well but I hadn't thought of using that technique to find all the code changes.

Thanks again
    Tom