Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: admin.menu.loaderror on precomplied site 9.0.1.3 ML

PghKid is offline Junior Member

Default admin.menu.loaderror on precomplied site 9.0.1.3 ML

I recently precompiled the site for better performance, and we are on 9.0.1.3 ML, and the "public" site works fine, but when I run the back office, the menu bar does not load and I get this message

admin.menu.loaderror

Any ideas how to resolve this?

rkratt007 is offline Junior Member

Were having the same issue when trying to compile the adnsf website. Does anyone have any ideas.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Part of the control that loads the admin menu looks for the presence of a specific .cs file in the /admin/controls folder. If that's not there (which it won't be if you precompile), that error will be shown. You'll have to modify the menu to run precompiled.

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Scott, im not sure what you are talking about but my 9.0.1.3 is precompiled and running fine without any .cs files. I just verified that my admin\controls only houses .ascx files

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

PghKid and rkratt007:

You're getting that error because AdminMaster.Master couldn't load the AdminMenu.ascx file. Have you checked if AdminMenu.ascx really exists in {root}/controls folder? Or, do you have any .ascx stored in the NOTES field from the customer table (e.g. select Notes,* from customer where customerid={customerid})?

Also, if possible, you can set breakpoint in the Page_Load() method of AdminMaster.master.cs file and step through it to see why you're getting the error.

virtualtap is offline Senior Member

I am having the same issue, where any of you guys able to resolve? and if so what steps did you take.

Thanks
    MSX

"AdminMenu.ascx really exists in {root}/controls folder?"
    This should be admin/controls folder right?
    also checked the notes fields and was all good there.

placed breakpoint on line 27 of AdminMaster.master.cs
    and VS said that the break point will not be hit.
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    MSX

By the way I am getting this error without precompile.
    MSX

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Rebuild your website. If you have made changes to your source since the last compilation, you will not be able to debug it and that's the reason you're getting the error.

glennewing is offline Junior Member

Default Admin Menu Fix for Precompiled Sites

I just ran into this problem with MS 9.1. Scott is correct about needing a mod in App_Templates/AdminMaster.master.cs. The simplest, brute force way to make this work in precompiled is to modify the beginning of the Page_Load event handler:
    Code:
               //if (base.ThisCustomer.Notes.Trim().Length > 0 && base.ThisCustomer.Notes.Contains(".ascx"))
                //{
                //    LoadMenu(base.ThisCustomer.Notes, base.ThisCustomer.LocaleSetting, false);
                //}
                //else
                //{
                //    LoadMenu("AdminMenu.ascx", base.ThisCustomer.LocaleSetting, true);
                //}

pnlMenu.Controls.Add(LoadControl("/admin/Controls/AdminMenu.ascx"));
    Adjust the "path to the control" string if you have changed the name of the admin directory.

If you want to automatically adjust to admin directory name changes and/or use the Customer.Notes trick for giving custom, restricted access to the Admin area then, instead of the above, replace in AdminMaster.master.cs the NewAdmin_App_Templates_AdminMaster.LoadMenu method with:

Code:
            private void LoadMenu(String ctrlToLoad, String localeSetting, bool isDefaultMenu)
            {
                //Boolean controlExists = true;
                Control adminMenu; 
                String ctrlName = AppLogic.AdminLinkUrl("Controls/" + ctrlToLoad, true);

Literal litError = new Literal();
                litError.Mode = LiteralMode.PassThrough;
                litError.Text = AppLogic.GetString("admin.menu.loaderror", localeSetting);

try
                {
                    try
                    {
                        adminMenu = LoadControl(ctrlName);
                    }
                    catch
                    {
                        adminMenu = litError;
                        SysLog.LogMessage("Control Not Found", "Unable to load menu control {0}.".FormatWith(ctrlToLoad), MessageTypeEnum.GeneralException, MessageSeverityEnum.Error);
                    }
                    pnlMenu.Controls.Add(adminMenu);
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    SysLog.LogException(ex, MessageTypeEnum.GeneralException, MessageSeverityEnum.Error);
                }
            }
    This should be essentially the same functionality as the original but work in the precompiled context.