Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: v9 Kits

GoodFella is offline Member

Default v9 Kits

I have yet to upgrade to v9 but plan to do so when the next update comes out.

Can someone tell me a little bit about the new "Kits" in v9?

I thought I read somewhere that it is based off of an asp.net page rather than 100% XML.

The reason why I ask is because I plan on modifying it and it would be great if it was more asp.net based.

Thank you.

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

That's correct. Kit product in v9 is handled differently. First, create your basic product and make sure that the 'Product Type' dropdown is set to Kit and the 'Is a Kit' attribute is set to Yes. The price you set will be used as the base price, before customers choose any custom options. You see more info here. You can also check out editkit.aspx.cs

Ben-LynxSI is offline Member

Question

Alfred:
    I think the original poster was asking more about customization like the xml packages used in ML8 to modify the page layout ("html"). Your response was more about customizing individual product options ("data").

In ML9 can we modify the kit page html layout, structure, css style, etc? Similar to what could be accomplished with creating a products.MyCustomKitPage.xml.config file in ML8?
    Ben Swayne - C#/ASP.net/jQuery/Ajax/SEO
    Lynx System Integrators Ltd.
    Lynx Live Agent - real-time analytics, live chat and sales software for ASPDotNetStorefront
    My Personal Website

bryemye is offline Junior Member

I'm also very interested in the answer to this question. Specifically I would like to be able to limit the quantity of kit products. Right now obviously the variant information is pointless. Please correct me if this information is wrong.

jdudley is offline Member

Default Interested as well

I would like to be able to modify kit products appearance as well

jdudley is offline Member

Default From ASPDNSF

"Modifying the kit layout now requires modifying the Kit controls in the {root}/controls folder. We had to turn that into a control to make the page elements dynamic with AJAX, you can't do that through XML."

tuffy is offline Member

If anyone has any more info on how to customize the kit products I would love to hear it. My product pages are heavily customized and the kit products look like poop comparatively. I would like it to at least somewhat resemble the other product pages.
    Kit Product:

Normal Product:

I basically just need to put the header image with the big product name in there, insert the AddThis thing (not super important), make the price more apparent, change the add to cart & wishlist buttons (also not crucial, but ideal), and make the descriptions on the options show up without having to click on the variant name. Also it would be sweet if the summary box could have a bit of padding on the right side.

Kit products are the perfect solution to the way we need to display some products, but it's just a shame that they're more difficult to customize and have very little support on the subject.