Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: V9 want Multiple Dropdowns (2+) or Kit XML

MSD is offline Member

Default V9 want Multiple Dropdowns (2+) or Kit XML

So it seems you can only have two drop-downs on a regular template and Kit Products now can not use XML files. The Kit issue causes other problems including the inability to offer multiple customizations. Is there other options I am not aware of or is this it.

Initially all I wanted was a third drop-down... found kits, a wonderful surprise only to realize XML was out. Loving the bleeding edge change.

MSD
    Started V8 switched half way to V9 /// I need a V9 Forum

AspDotNetStorefrontML 9.0.1.3/9.0.1.3 AspDotNetStorefront ML 8.0.1.2/8.0.1.2

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Changing from XML doesn't prevent you from modifying whatever you want for kits. Kit pages are created by a combination of the kitproduct.aspx(.cs) file, and a couple of controls that are in the {root}/controls/kit folder - no source code required.

Ben-LynxSI is offline Member

Scott:
    You over simplify the change here. Its not a 1-to-1 trade here.

I think the original poster was not concerned about the inability to modify the kit page layout, but rather the inability to have multiple kit page layouts. For example in ML8 we could have a "prodcuts.MyKitPage1.xml.config" and "products.MyOtherKitPage.xml.config" in the same storefront. These two kit pages could be radically different in look and feel.

I'm not sure if this is always necessary, but it is a difference between the old and the new. It could also present some extra maintenance if say you release a updated/patched kitproduct.aspx.cs file while we've customized the original.

MSD:
    Although these are very real changes, I'm not sure if it is any better/worse than before. There are plus and minus aspects. I've always believed in seperating data, logic and presentation. In the past this was NOT well done by ASPDNSF with html and css mixed into source all over the place. This is improving over time...

With the new kit pages I'd be inclined to move any style/presention/color/font changes into your CSS file. To help maximize your ability to offer different kit pages, you could use an extra field from the products as a wrapper div's class name or id in the kit page layout. This way you could pull out all the styling differences into CSS based on the products class/id page wrapper.
    Ben Swayne - C#/ASP.net/jQuery/Ajax/SEO
    Lynx System Integrators Ltd.
    Lynx Live Agent - real-time analytics, live chat and sales software for ASPDotNetStorefront
    My Personal Website