Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: No results message with searchadv. . .

donato is offline Senior Member

Default No results message with searchadv. . .

I want to display some sort of message that says, "No matches were retrieved per your search request. Please try another word, phrase or SKU." Something like that. . . How would I go anout doing that?

Thank you,

~D

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

That message is generated by the 'searchadv.aspx.19 ' string resource. You can edit that through the admin site.

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott View Post
    That message is generated by the 'searchadv.aspx.19 ' string resource. You can edit that through the admin site.
    I don't understand. . . It's not showing. The only thing that is showing is:

Use the settings below to indicate what you are searching for:

After that, there is the search box and dropdown menus. Am I missing something else?

Thanks again.

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Go to Contents -> String Resource mgr, search "searchadv.aspx.19", and edit the string resource value to say something like what you wanted. That's what Scott was telling you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Alfred View Post
    Go to Contents -> String Resource mgr, search "searchadv.aspx.19", and edit the string resource value to say something like what you wanted. That's what Scott was telling you to do.
    I did do that. . . And the message is not showing. . . .

Is there something else I need to do. . . another setting some where perhaps?

Scott? Alfred? Anyone? Is there anything else I should look at?

DotNetDevelopments is offline Senior Member

Look in the XML package, if the string is not in the string centre is may be hard coded.
    =====
    Version (Code/DB): AspDotNetStorefront MSx 9.1.0.1/9.1.0.0
    Execution Mode: 64 Bit
    Dot Net Developments - E-commerce By Experience

Quote Originally Posted by e-tradecounter View Post
    Look in the XML package, if the string is not in the string centre is may be hard coded.
    I'm not sure I'm following on this one. . . I have checked the XML package. . . Is there a certain place I should be checking?

Thank you very much.

I see searchadv.aspx.xx all throughout the XML package, however, I do not see searchadv.aspx.19 anywhere in that package. Is there a certain place I should place that?

Thanks again!

I have heavily modded ours so I can not say.

However unless you have modded your searchadv.aspx page or XML it will be found in the string resources, I suggest doing a search on
    searchadv

You only get back about 23 results so it is easy to look through.
    =====

esedirect is offline Senior Member

Have you tried 'Reset Cache'?
    http://www.esedirect.co.uk
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using MS 9.2.0.0 with the following customisations:

Lightbox/Fancybox enlarged images;
    Auto-suggest searchbox;
    Extra product information shown only to our IP Address (such as supplier info, costs, etc.);
    Failed transactions emailed via trigger;
    Custom app to show basket contents when customer online;
    Orders pushed through to accounting systems.

All the above without source!

Quote Originally Posted by esedirect View Post
    Have you tried 'Reset Cache'?
    Thank you for responding. Yes. I have tried Reset Cache. But still, I do not see searchadv.aspx.19 anywhere in the XML package. It should be in there, right? I'm not sure where it should go though. . .

Any thoughts?

I searched the entire solution for searchadv.aspx.19 and there is not one instance of it. Shouldn't this be in one of the XML packages? Is anyone else seeing this issue at all?

Thank you.

Does anyone have anything? I cannot imagine that this is just left out. . . No where in the solution is this found. I did a search in files in the the entire solution. I would really like this to show up if no results were found.

Thank you again. . .

Right I have dug up an old unmodded version of searchadv.xml.config
    line 386-389
    C#/VB.NET Code:
                    <xsl:if test="/root/Form/searchterm and $hasCategoryDisplay = false() and $hasSectionDisplay = false() and $hasManufacturerDisplay = false() and $hasProductDisplay = false()">
                        <
    p align="left"><xsl:value-of select="aspdnsf:StringResource('search.aspx.9', $LocaleSetting)" disable-output-escaping="yes" /><b></b></p>
                    </
    xsl:if> 
    At at glance this looks like the control for no results to display.

Thus try changing string resource search.aspx.9
    Sometimes you will find string resources that are never used like searchadv.aspx.19 for example (Sometimes however they are called in the core code.)
    =====

Quote Originally Posted by e-tradecounter View Post
    Right I have dug up an old unmodded version of searchadv.xml.config
    line 386-389
    C#/VB.NET Code:
                    <xsl:if test="/root/Form/searchterm and $hasCategoryDisplay = false() and $hasSectionDisplay = false() and $hasManufacturerDisplay = false() and $hasProductDisplay = false()">
                        <
    p align="left"><xsl:value-of select="aspdnsf:StringResource('search.aspx.9', $LocaleSetting)" disable-output-escaping="yes" /><b></b></p>
                    </
    xsl:if> 
    At at glance this looks like the control for no results to display.

Thus try changing string resource search.aspx.9
    Sometimes you will find string resources that are never used like searchadv.aspx.19 for example (Sometimes however they are called in the core code.)
    That controls the default text under the Departments dropdown list, which by default is: All.

This seem a bit silly. . . I would think that this would be something that is included by default in the system, yet I do not see any instance of this. Anyone from aspdotnetstorefront?

So, no one from aspdotnetstorefront has a response to this? This should be set by default - yet it is not.

I see where you can set the message in the Admin section, but what good does that do if it is not implemented anywhere?

This is weird. . . I figured this out. In page.searchadv.xml.config - it shows the following:

<xsl:if test="/root/QueryString/searchterm and count(/root/Categories/Category)=0 and count(/root/Sections/Section)=0 and count(/root/Manufacturers/Manufacturer)=0 and count(/root/Products/Product)=0">
    <p align="left"><xsl:value-of select="aspdnsf:StringResource('search.aspx.9', $LocaleSetting)" disable-output-escaping="yes" /><b></b></p>
    </xsl:if>

If you change search.aspx.9 to searchadv.aspx.19, it works. Now, why it won't show the other message, I don't know, but that is weird.

However, I have another issue now. I have "Brand Matches" showing now, which I did not before. How do I shut that off? I have most of those tings set to false in the XML config file.