Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: DB Size

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Default DB Size

Just curious if this is something I should be concerned about. We went live with ASPDNSF in November 2009 and our DB backup is currently 2G in size.

We have just over 1000 products, each product has 3 variants each.

We have just over 15k customers.

I run monthly maintenance.

Being this has grown in such a short period make me believe it could get out of hand.

Also, i've read where the log file can grow too large and crash your db. Another concern obviously.

Thoughts?

chrismartz is offline Senior Member

Are you doing full backups each time and truncating the log files?

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

no, I am not sure even how to truncate the log files.

Currently im on a shared hosting platform so I do not have access to SQL Server directly .. I can only do backups through a web based control panel.

I am in the process of moving to my own dedicated server though. Once I am on that server I can truncate the log files .. I just have to figure out how. Ill be using SQL Server 2008 Web Version on my dedicated server

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Sounds like your host is probably not committing transactions, which will clear the transaction log files and shrink the DB immensely. I would talk to them about their DB policies and see what they can do to help, 2GB is definitely way too big for the contents you've described.