Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Any serious automotive parts website on ASPDNSF here?

mike2016 is offline Junior Member

Default Any serious automotive parts website on ASPDNSF here?

We are looking to replace our Everest e-commerce site with ASPDNSF but I have some questions.

We sell performance auto parts for cars ranging from 1960 to 2010, and the site needs a drill down search filter - YMMT(Year make model trim) based filter. It drills down to the parts for a specific car for that customer.

This has to be a customization obviously, but what is the best way to approach this?

my developer and I looked at the architecture of ASPDNSF, it is very versatile and can be customized with less work than Everest. We are thinking to create a separate table that contains the YMMT information, then assigning a unique ID to each of them. this table contains roughly 60k records.

in the inventory, each product will be assigned with these IDs depending on the fitment. so when the product is searched for, it will be filtered based on the fitment. our inventory has about 150k part numbers.

none of the out of the box solution will work, since they all require manual tagging of each product to a specific vehicle. there's no way to do that for that amount of part numbers.

What do you guys suggest?

MPH is offline Member

64 bit ML set up at Amazon as a cloud. Bust the database into segments so there's as many databases as required to properly handle the items because of the requirement for YMMT.

With a best practice for the db established, then figure a way to keep prices current with inventory, as well as warehouse, and shipping routines. In fact, db management as a function of part mfg. might be a simple way to create multiple databases. Plus, serve as a guideline for the warehouse and shipping when/if coupled with a distributor network.

There's a few accounting programs that seem heavy enough to work with what you want, only how those packages can act in a B2B environment is past the line for a random poster such as myself.

Images, cross reference tables, descriptions, and data verification, is a tall order indeed. Once all thats in order then you can roll out multiple applications of ML to represent and market any part of the parts catalog using the existing db system and pipeline.

BFG 9000 is offline Senior Member

I suspect you could do this 'out of the box' :-

Manufacturer = Make
    Brand = Model
    Department = Year

& then either vector, genre, distributor or library = trim

TTFN

BFG

Cano is offline Member

I setup www.raceeng.com, they have about 12k items loaded but we don't use it like your thinking. Since it's only performance parts (rotating assemblies). We use the categories as engine codes, if you look at Honda/Acura you'll see what i mean.

Also one piston may fit a few engines

If you guys go look at www.autopartswarehouse.com , www.partstrain.com, you will see what i'm talking about.

there is a "box" where you select a vehicle, then when you browse the site, only parts for that vehicle or universal parts will be shown.

Can this be done with ASPDNSF?

MPH is offline Member

Sort of. When you modify/edit products from the control panel side it performs the functionality you'd want. So the coding is in the package, just not on the sites navigation menu feature in the way you are looking for now.

When you login to the backend of the control program and go to the products menu to edit products it allows you to call/filter the products by type, mfg. category, department or any combination thereof.

I have not seen that utility used on the front side as you would like to have. But, using vector, genre, distributor or library attributes, is within the programs capabilities/features.
    Last edited by MPH; 05-18-2010 at 04:11 PM.

I see the "vectors" and "genres", how do you enable them on the front end?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

There's a good thread here.

caraj is offline Member

Something like this addon would not work?
    http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-6...lters-mmy.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by caraj View Post
    Something like this addon would not work?
    http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-6...lters-mmy.aspx

It kind of works but we require 4 levels of filtering, down to the trim level. this is almost what we need, it works fine for websites that target to a certain brands. but for us, we sell everything from performance parts to truck bed liners.

for example...

2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax
    2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Kingcab
    2007 Toyota Tundra 4.7L ...

you see the differences, the performance parts like exhaust, intakes are different depending on engine size, and the exterior parts like bed liner are also different depending on bed size.

jsimacek is offline Senior Member

Mike2016, the 4 level Make/Model/Year submodel is supported, only the 4th model is usually product specific so it's on the product page/level, not with the main 3. Compunix does many automotive sites (main vertical) and we use our MMY add-on module at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/p-6...lters-mmy.aspx and a couple of other add-ons there, please contact Jan at jsimacek@compunix.us for examples and complete automotive site pricing, thank you.
    Jan Simacek - Compunix, LLC
    AspDotNetStorefront trusted Devnet Partner and Reseller since 2005

AspDotNetStorefront Mods and Add-Ons at http://www.ecommercecartmods.com/
    - Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Reports (like Cart Abandonment and Net Sales)
    - Customer Experience (like Question/Answers)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)

And like you said Mike, each product type has a different 4th level so the 4 dropdown is on the actual product page, see our: http://www.egrilleguards.com/p-57-st...-bull-bar.aspx for example

- Searching, Filtering and Sorting (like cSearch, Dealer Locator, Price Ranges, Blog)
    - Site and Data Management (like Entity Product Mapper, Bulk Updaters, Make/Model/Year filters)

I don't understand how you use the 4th level as product specific?

part# A could be a part that fits 10 different Toyota and 5 different Lexus

if you look at www.autoanything.com , www.transamericanwholesale.com

you will see what i'm saying. sometimes a 5th level filter is required.

there's actually a standard for this purpose called ACES format, it was established by AAIA, it's a complex database of car YMMT, part fitment data such as this brake pad set is either the front or the rear, type of part....etc

Correct BUT, what is the thing that stays constant across all categories? It's is the Make/Model/Year...then based on what category you are on/customer selects, it presents a new set of filters in addition to the MMY. Meaning, as the customer is switching categories, his MMY stays constant while additional filters are presented which are product/category specific. We are working on another few auto sites where one is binding our modules directly to ACES data... (for category and product pages).

Basically in a cart point of view, Make/Model/Year are global, while ACES additional data filters depend on the categories/product set (so aren't global).

Isn't the "TRIM" level also constant too?

for instance, a customer has a 2001 Acura Integra GSR , another customer has a 2001 Acura Integra Type-R, although they are the same model, but the engines and suspension are different.

so without the TRIM being constant, how do you differentiate the parts when both customers are landed to a engine parts category?

Correct, we have a 4th dropdown/option for Submodel (your Trim) if the client needs. Again, this is all dependent on you as the client ;-)

Do you have a demo store for that or maybe a client site?

posuser is offline Junior Member

Default Everest eCommerce to ASPDNSF migration experience

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing Everest eCommerce with ASPDNSF and like to know your experience particularly the data synchronization between them. We've been using Everest Advanced ERP for about two years but eCommerce was never set up and used. We have Everest SDK licenses.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

Hello Steve, we can definitely set that up for you. Please email me (Jan) directly at jsimacek@compunix.us.

Since my last post here, we have setup our Automotive solutions available at http://www.autopartsshoppingcart.com/ . Based on your needs, I can recommend the Essentials or Advanced packages and build a complete synch or data port with Everest...

discountvolvoparts is offline Junior Member

Post Import auto parts via excel

I have about 300 products and 300K applications I need to import into a new ML v.9 website that has the Ajax mod added. My question is: does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to go about this? I know how to do it and have tested uploading 80 products with success. I sell a custom fit sunshade and have 2500 applications, should I load this product as 1 product with 2500 variants or as 2500 seperate products? What are the pro's and con's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are also willing to pay someone with experience for advanced guidance in this matter. Just some guidance would be great.

Please keep in mind speed and SEO are top priority.

I also need to know the best way to apply images. The template file does not allow for image url.

I would recommend doing so by creating minimal Products with the variations being setup as Variants (instead of having repeating product names). The importer on the MMY add-on and our auto parts packages group the same named products under 1 and the variations on SKUs etc are being brought in as Variants.

Our auto packages have an additional submodel drop down for the product level/page so works with that natively (giving you that one additional options depending on the type of parts being sold...like bed length, front/rear brake etc).

Both our auto packages also include our Image Importer/Updater add-on, which is perfect for importing images natively into the cart based on SKU or ManufacturerPartNumber etc.