Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Pull topic into another topic?

Tek7 is offline Senior Member

Default Pull topic into another topic?

Is this possible? Anyone know how to do it? Thanks!
    May

Sennaya is offline Member

Your questions seems pretty broad.

Through the admin you can edit any topic. Dashboard / Content / Manage Topics
    You can copy text or code from one topic and save it into another.

Or do you mean insert a link into the topic to open another topic? Just use standard html links in the topic. It edits just like a product description.

I have an HTML table that has a sizing chart and I need this to appear within a few other topics.. rather than creating the sizing chart in each topic I'd like to create a topic with the sizing chart and pull it into the other topics, like you would with a .net control or asp include. I know how to link to a topic I just don't know if it's possible to pull it within another one.
    May

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

That's possible. Just invoke (!Topic Name="YourTopic"!) within the topic you want it to show. Make sure you enter it in (<>) HTML-mode from the editor.

Excellent thank you!
    May

cksite is offline Senior Member

Isn't there a problem using topic tokens within other topics in the latest release of version 9? we upgraded to version 9 in our development environment many weeks ago, and found that nested topics doesn't function. Our developer says that Storefront is aware of it and a patch is coming. True?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

You won't be able to do that with a skin token as described in this thread in version 9, no. The new expression builder tokens won't work within a topic, as those are replaced very early during page load, before the topic contents even exist on that page yet. With some customization you could do that, but it won't work 'out of the box'.

You could embed topics within each other through an iframe I imagine, and we also now allow you to 'map' one topic to another, so links to one/more topic are automatically added to the top of another topic's page.

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

Given these changes how would I solve the following problem:

I have multiple pages on which I want a series of links. I've stored these links on a topic page for easy management. I want this series of links to appear on many topic pages and on the descriptions for categories and manufacturers. How do I do this?
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM

cjbarth is offline Senior Member

Here is the solution:

Create a .js file with the following and add it to your page. I added it to my master page.

Code:
    //http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212825

function include(url)  // must be a fully qualified URL, I don't know why
    {
        if (url.indexOf("://") == -1) {
            url = window.location.href.substring(0, location.href.lastIndexOf("/")) + url;
        }

var xml = !window.XMLHttpRequest ? new ActiveXObject('Microsoft.XMLHTTP') : new XMLHttpRequest;
        xml.open('GET', url, false);
        xml.send(null);
        document.writeln(xml.responseText);
    }
    You can then call the file like this:

Code:
    <SCRIPT language='JavaScript'>
       // must be a fully qualified URL -- can be any type of file (html,jsp,asp,etc)
       include("/t2-QuickLinks.aspx");
    </SCRIPT>
    I put that directly in my topic page and the content was included inline. I specified t2- instead of t- because I don't want a template on my topic page.
    Last edited by cjbarth; 09-07-2010 at 01:28 PM.
    ML9.3.1.1
    SQL 2012 Express
    VS 2010
    Azure VM