Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Upgrade to 9.0

mohanrh is offline Member

Default Upgrade to 9.0

Has anyone upgraded from 8.0 to 9.0? We are on 8.0 and thinking of upgrading to 9.0. Before we take the plunge, I just wanted to know how seamless or complex it is? We have customized the original 8.0 version to suit our needs. In such a scenario, is it worthwhile to take that route?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Mohan

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

In my opinion it is a VERY VERY complex and time consuming upgrade. Honestly its basically starting over from scratch.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Upgrading to 9 is more complicated than our previous upgrades have been, and we're pretty up-front about that in the upgrade directions. Between switching to master pages, the AddIns functionality, all of the new features and fixes, and the large architectural changes, I doubt there are more than a handful of files that weren't touched - and I don't think that's a bad thing. Things have to change in order for the software to keep growing and improving.

If you've done customization then porting that forward is going to be more work than in previous upgrades, yes, but it's hardly 'starting over'. All of your data will be maintained, and the skin conversion process generally isn't too bad.

ssgumby is offline Senior Member

Scott, with all due respect it is like starting over. First let me say that yes change is needed to move forward and get better as technology is never at rest so we must always adapt.

The changes to no query strings being passed to XmlPackages, the obsoletion (not deprecation) of tokens, the menu being .NET controls which require source. I've truly been astonished at what effort I have had to go through to make some simple basic things work the way they did before (appearance wise).

Again, no disrespect intended ... you all have done a great job and I can tell you all work tirelessly making this a fantastic product but my honest opinion to the original poster is it is equivalent to starting over from a look and feel standpoint. Yes all the data is still there but making it look the way it does now has been a challenge.

factorite is offline Junior Member

Related question.

If we haven't started development with v.8... should we start with v.9?

Is the learning curve smaller than learning xslt etc.?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

There's still XSLT in version 9, we haven't done away with XML packages. If you haven't started yet, I would definitely start with 9. It's got a lot of improvements in it, allows for AJAX a lot easier than 8 does, and odds are you're going to want to upgrade at some point in the future so doing your mods on the newer code base initially will make that easier.

factorite is offline Junior Member

Thanks!

What about cost? We only bought ML 8 a few months ago, but haven't started developing yet.

Is there a grace period for those that bought 8 recently?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Normally, there's one month free support and upgrade included from the date of your purchase. You can send a ticket to sales@aspdotnetstorefront.com and will see what we can do.

Richnyc30 is offline Senior Member

Default Data conversion from 8 to multi-store

Any suggestions of what to look for when upgrading just the data from a 8.0 store to 9.0.1.... multistore?

Do you want to upgrade only the DB to v9.x and still use the v8.x web files? Is this what you meant?

eprice is offline Junior Member

Default v9 Login & Register Issue

AspDotNetStorefront ML 9.0.1.3/9.0.1.2

Did some searches through the forums and couldnt find anything related to this particular problem other than IE6.

Basically, the login and registration pages do not work in IE7/8. Ive tried to debug but havent had any luck (no errors are thrown anywhere). The validation fires when the login/create account are clicked, after that nothing happens. Everything works fine in Firefox.

If anyone has knowledge of how to resolve this issue please let me know when you can.

Thanks -Eddie

Is this a brand new install? Have there been any modification to the registration logic?

Default v9 Login & Register Issue

I personally did not install it but I believe it was a fresh install. I did find the issue in the template.master. The form tag around the product search was causing IE to not postback.

<form name="topsearchform" method="get" action="search.aspx">
    Last edited by eprice; 05-26-2010 at 07:03 PM.

caraj is offline Member

Regarding building out a new store now. I have been informed by 2 developers that verision 9 build will cost substantially more than version 8. (I am assuming because they only have experience in v8)

They are telling me ver9 is much more work...

jgeno is offline Member

Something to add to the v9 experience. That admin is not as easy to use. It's cool that they added some Ajax features and flow, but it's taking several clicks to edit items when it only took 2-3 before. One of the primary tools we used previously was the Organization > Categories/Departments sub-menus. We use a lot of sub-categories and Departments throughout our sites. Now instead of just mousing over the menus to get to the category / section, we have to click-click-click... or search for it. Hopefully we know the exact name, which is the only field it looks at. The product-to-variant flow is also cumbersome. My users miss the old left hand pain with categories/departments and the edit page on the right.

I have about 10 clients using v8 and below. After completing my first upgrade, I would probably not go to v9. Partly because of the required coding changes, but mostly because of how difficult the admin is to use now.

webopius is offline Senior Member

Webopius is an ASPDotNetStorefront developer who have been using the product since v7.x and we've now completed a number of MLv9.x installs AND upgrades including taking a v7.x system to MLv9.

In my personal opinion, MLv9 is no more complex to develop against than v7 or v8. If a new client came to us and asked us to do an MLv9 install, it would cost no more than any other release.

We've now got the migration process tuned to be quite quick including changing skins to the new master template format (which is actually pretty straightforward once you've done it a few times and understand the key differences in how the <form> tag and tokens should be used).

As a real-world example taking v7 to v9, we installed MLv9 on a staging server, ran the database upgrades to take the old site from 7 to 8 and then to 9. Finally, we changed the existing page templates to and copied the skin files into their correct locations. All done within 1 day followed by testing.

Almost everything worked first time, the only items that we've have to develop are some client specific database procedures and a custom XSLT extension to support the previous method of passing the current entity IDs across. Because we write custom modules to sit alongside ASPDNSF rather than changing core source code, we simply re-compiled v7 code for v9 and copied the dll's into the bin directory.

So I guess my message is to not worry and if a developer is telling you that v9 is more complex, ask another one!

Adam
    Webopius.com

Default Update Cart w/ Upsell

Anyone else have an issue with v9 when selecting an upsell product and updating the shopping cart, update has to be clicked twice before the upsell product shows in the product list? (first time the upsell product disappears from below as it should)

Thanks in advance!

avsune is offline Member

I want to change the size of the shopping cart image to be smaller than the icon image. Where in v9 can I find the code?

slicklocrian is offline Member

Default Is there a way to import your products from 7 to 9?

Is there a way to import your products from 7 to 9?

It took me a year to create 1400 items. I dread the thought of starting over again.

- Rik

There is a way to do that via WSI, but just wondering why would you not just run the v9 upgrade scripts to upgrade v7 db schema to v9?