Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: Cloning Products in Version 9

justinlseitz is offline Junior Member

Default Cloning Products in Version 9

I know that there has always been a clone feature for the products. How do you clone a product in the new version 9? I cannot find the clone button anywhere. If someone has found where this was relocated, please let me know. I have some really large KIT products that all have the same attributes and it would be easy to clone them then re-enter in all the information. Please get back to me and let me know where the button is or if there is a fix.

Justin

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

You can go to Organization->Manage Categories and open up the category containing your kits, then click on the Products tab, and the "Products for Category' link and the products will be listed there, with a Clone link for each.

netprocity is offline Member

Default Wow

Wow, that is really buried. We have categories, and many subcategories. To have to go into each category and then click on "products", and then click on "products for category" to see the list and be able to clone seems very redundant and difficult as we do A LOT of cloning. Can't the "clone" just be listed in the product management how it used to be? That is so much more convenient and easy to do. Just put a "clone" link after you select "product management" at the end of the product listing where it currently says "published" and "deleted". Just put "clone" right there, that's how it was in previous versions.

Thanks
    James

cksite is offline Senior Member

We found that clone button in 9 but regarding cloning products, is there a reason why cloning a product doesn't include the images? Seems to defeat the purpose a little since you have to go in and import images for the clone.

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

Well, it does makes sense to me. The software has 3 different ways in retrieving product images, it's based on (a) ProductID - this is the default behavior (b) SKU - appconfig: UseSKUForProductImageName (c) ImageFilenameOverride. ProductID is unique, the software obviously can't find the image of the original product since they're totally using a different ProductID.

benjamin is offline Member

This clone feature is really buried and overall, I believe the edit product feature usability has taken a few steps back in all v9 as compared to v8012. It takes more clicks now to search for the right product, edit product, and clone product.

benjamin is offline Member

Also, there is a bug in the clone product feature in v9013 MS. It does not insert data into ProductStore product mapping table. So the product does not show up at all on any store.

singproinc is offline Member

Angry Agreed, Cloning in 9 is a step back

Just getting ready to load in many, many new products based on an existing template. Assumed that because 9 was newer and "better," that it would be simple to clone and revise products as we did in 8.

This has really stunted our plans. We have to re-assess and find a better way, and soon. E-commerce doesn't offer any slack; it demands immediacy. Dang. I'd like to see this changed, or some indication from ADNSF about what is the new, equal-or-better way to accomplish this formerly straight-forward and common task.

singproinc is offline Member

Default Is "Aspdnsf Commander" a possible replacement for cloning?

I'm looking at "Aspdnsf Commander" and it looks like a possible solution for 9's cloning difficulty. Is it a good solution for this problem?

http://www.simrun.com/AspDotNetStore...Commander.aspx