Important Notice from AspDotNetStorefront
It is with dismay that we report that we have been forced, through the action of hackers, to shut off write-access to this forum. We are keen to leave the wealth of material available to you for research. We have opened a new forum from which our community of users can seek help, support and advice from us and from each other. To post a new question to our community, please visit: http://forums.vortx.com

Thread: V9 Menu instructions

Kirk48906 is offline Member

Default V9 Menu instructions

Is there anyplace to get information on how to build these horizontal menus in version 9? I cannot seem to find any documentation on how to do them and it appears that there are many people also having the same kinds of issues I'm trying to work through?

At the moment I'm trying to convert my V8 master page into V9. Not a fun job.

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

The v9.x menu is handled differently than that of v8.x - lower, as it's now using ASP.NET menu (as opposed to the ComponentArt). Go to {root}App_code/MasterPageBase.cs and step through the SetupMenu() method in debug-mode.

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

Also, like I mentioned here, keep in mind that we use the standard .NET menu control for that page element. While we have our own data source for it that does most of the work of generating the content, all of the attributes/settings for that menu control are standard - and are outlined in more detail than we could provide all over the place.

I understand you are using the.net menu standard for attributes, but could you explain this statement "Go to {root}App_code/MasterPageBase.cs and step through the SetupMenu() method in debug-mode" What does that mean exactly, or how do you do that?

I'm a novice in this area and learning as we go in some respects. Is this task outlined anywhere in manuals?

ASPAlfred is offline Senior Member

That means, you need to use Visual Studio and look into MasterPageBase.cs while running in debug-mode (debug -> attach to process) and step through it. There you can see how the software built the menu content using our own data source.

I can honestly say that if we want to punish people we should make them try to figure out this stuff on their own. Crime would stop.

Anyway, now that I've worked through security stuff I'm getting this error about SQL connection string. Currous part is that the string works just fine on the server, but from the VS2008 if fails. I gather that somehwere in VS the connection string is different or needs to be modified? The VS connection DB config attaches just fine to the DB, so I'm at a loss as to why this will not run?

Error brought up in the debug window:
    A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

I've done all the things that various web articles, there isn't any reason that I can tell why this cannot operate correctly.

Any thoughts anyone?

AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott's Avatar
    AspDotNetStorefront Staff - Scott is offline Administrator

s VS2008 running on the same machine SQL is? If not it's most likely a routing issue - check that you've got the right machine name in the DBConn, make sure the necessary ports are open on the SQL machine, that a firewall isn't blocking the connection, verify that TCP/IP connections are enabled in SQL, etc. If they're on the same machine, make sure that the credentials you have in the DBConn are correct and that you've added the user you're logging in with as a login in SQL and user on that specific DB.

VB is not on the same machine as SQL, the DBconn name is an IP address with \instance name. It can be pinged from the VB machine. The SQL login info is the same as what the website uses, which works. SQL tcp connections are enabled and working since the SQL box does the production site as well and that is working which means the firewall is open and the port is active. If I do a test connection from the VS box it works fine inside of VS (IE setup a db connection) There is no firewall operating at the moment on either machine, no router filters between them since they are on the same subnet. I've tried name pipes, IP DNS names, and IP addresses.

Again the web.config file works fine when run on the server, when run on the VS box it compiles with a few warnings and the cannot connect to the SQl server. I read several bogs that suggested an override for web.config file when executed from inside VS and attaching to a non-local SQL server. But they don't talk about how to solve that if that is accurate.